You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop the ICloud back up and restart it later ?

I am doing an ICloud back up for the first time. I have 1 day remaining to complete back up. How do I stop it and re-start it later?

iPhone 6, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 8, 2017 1:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2017 2:18 PM

Hello Charlie,
If I understand your post correctly, you're iCloud backup is taking a long time to complete and you'd like to resume it at another time.
To stop the backup, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup > Cancel Backup. When you're ready to resume the backup, use these steps:

How to back up with iCloud

1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
  2. Tap Settings, then scroll down and tap iCloud.
    User uploaded file
  3. Scroll down, tap Backup, and make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
    User uploaded file
  4. Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes.
  5. Make sure that the backup finished: Tap Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, then select your device. The backup should appear in the details with the time and backup size.

For more information about backups see this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 8, 2017 2:18 PM in response to Charlie n from PR

Hello Charlie,
If I understand your post correctly, you're iCloud backup is taking a long time to complete and you'd like to resume it at another time.
To stop the backup, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup > Cancel Backup. When you're ready to resume the backup, use these steps:

How to back up with iCloud

1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
  2. Tap Settings, then scroll down and tap iCloud.
    User uploaded file
  3. Scroll down, tap Backup, and make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
    User uploaded file
  4. Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes.
  5. Make sure that the backup finished: Tap Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, then select your device. The backup should appear in the details with the time and backup size.

For more information about backups see this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

How do I stop the ICloud back up and restart it later ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.