Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your Bootable USB Drive Could Not Be Created

I have a MBP mid 2012, trying to setup a bootable with a Windows 7 ISO. Every time boot camp assistant formats the USB then says "there is not enough space available on the disk". The USB is a 32 GB flash drive, and says no space is being used. The ISO is unmounted and reformatting the USB does not help. Any tips?

Posted on Mar 8, 2017 3:57 PM

19 replies

Mar 9, 2017 7:04 AM in response to Loner T

I believe it is only a 64-bit installer. I used the same ISO before when creating a bootable on the same flash drive and it worked (since then I erased it to use the flash drive so I can't use the old bootable I created). I can't open it to check, how could I?

I ran the eraseDisk again and it worked,User uploaded file

although bootcamp assistant still gave me the same error.

Mar 8, 2017 8:29 PM in response to Synless

Are you using the steps as outlined in Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support ? Please see step 11 specifically.

Synless wrote:

On another note, the first time I run the boot camp I get the "there was an error formatting the disk" and the second time I run I get the "not enough space on the disk" error, alternating between the two. Checking the second box in bootcamp setup gives me the same error.

Which disk produces this error? Can you connect the USB Flash drive and post the output of the Terminal command diskutil list ?

Mar 8, 2017 6:23 PM in response to Loner T

I downloaded the bootcamp support files separately, so I only checked the first box. I set up a bootcamp before using both the same ISO and flash drive and it worked before with the same steps. I ran First Aid on both my SSD and the flash drive. Each came back with no errors.
On another note, the first time I run the boot camp I get the "there was an error formatting the disk" and the second time I run I get the "not enough space on the disk" error, alternating between the two.

Checking the second box in bootcamp setup gives me the same error.

Mar 9, 2017 6:34 AM in response to Synless

Can you post the output of the following command? It will erase/format the Flash drive at disk2.

diskutil eraseDisk fat32 WIN disk2

If that works, please download the BC5 drivers package from the link I posted, and copy the contents of the ZIP file to the USB. Copy the contents of your W7 ISO to the USB after you mount it. Do not copy the ISO file directly. This is your USB installer. Test if you can see a Windows icon on the USB when you use Alt/Option during boot of the Mac.

Mar 9, 2017 7:58 AM in response to Synless

You have completed the "Create..." and "Download..." options. Run BC Assistant, connect the USB, uncheck the first two options, and check only "Install..." option and test if you can install Windows.

Do not use EFI Boot, use the Windows icon, if you must use the Alt/Option key to interrupt the installation. I strongly advise against any manual intervention.

Your Bootable USB Drive Could Not Be Created

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.