Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Apple Watch work on tattooed skin?

I know this may sound stupid, but I was told that the Watch wouldn't work because my wrist is fully tattooed. By a person who is also heavily tattooed and his didn't work. Was there a user error? I'd hate to spend the money for it not to work. Anyone else with this problem?

Posted on Mar 8, 2017 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 5:14 PM

I am sleeved on my left arm, down to wrist. It will not detect my standing & pauses every 30-60 second’s during my workouts. I switched it to my right arm today during my workout & it tracked it smoothly the entire 80 minute workout. Hopefully I can get a good reading on my standing tomorrow

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2018 5:14 PM in response to Kayla1383

I am sleeved on my left arm, down to wrist. It will not detect my standing & pauses every 30-60 second’s during my workouts. I switched it to my right arm today during my workout & it tracked it smoothly the entire 80 minute workout. Hopefully I can get a good reading on my standing tomorrow

Mar 8, 2017 8:27 PM in response to Kayla1383

Per the Apple Website:

Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

Oct 16, 2017 12:05 PM in response to Mokneeaz

Hi, unsure if they s will help you but my father recently had the same issue. Both his wrist are tattoo' and certain functions did not work. He applied the clear part of a waterproof plaster over his tattoo, where the watch sits, and everything now works. It may be due to his tattoo's being fairly old but it worked all the same. Without the clear plaster these features stop working again.

Hopefully it's not a fluke and it may work for others too, Rachel.

Oct 15, 2017 10:54 AM in response to Kayla1383

Hi! Initially when I purchased my Apple Watch in 2015 I had a lot of issues with the placement of my watch. On my left wrist a I have very dark black rose tattoo and my right wrist a lighter black tattoo. I’ve had to put my watch on my right wrist, I have to use the watch without the passcode lock on and it works just fine. I didn’t have any issues with the heart rate monitor or any of the other features except the passcode lock, it wouldn’t notify my of alerts because it didn’t register it being worn, that’s the only drawback to having a tattoo and the AW. I now have the AWS3 w/cellular, so for me it’s not a big deal.

Jan 3, 2018 10:32 AM in response to Kayla1383

I have the same issue. My left arm is sleeved down to the wrist. After spending several chat sessions and one phone call, we discovered that if I wear the watch on my non tattooed arm everything works fine. Additionally, if I turn off wrist detection and put it back on my left I can get all of my notifications. That said, when I use it in this fashion it doesn't ever register that I'm standing. Ever. And I'm on my feet 14 hours a day on average.

I don't love that these are my options. Ideally, they will come up with a patch that allows all of the functionality with the wrist detection off. Hopefully this helps. Opposite wrist or detection off appear to be the best options.

Does the Apple Watch work on tattooed skin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.