Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Legit looking scam email from Apple

Just wanted to share that I received an email showing "Apple" as the sender, and it looked totally official. The email stated that my security questions had been updated and if i didn't make that change to click on the link shown on the email for apple.id.etc... I clicked on the link and it took me to a page that looks identical to the apple.id. official page. Luckily I only entered my password, but no information after I saw the suspicious browser address I was directed to and I didn't get a prompt for 2 step verification. I did enter my password, so I have now reset all of my passwords just in case.

I googled and found that others have also run into the same problem. Once you enter your password the web page says that your account has been locked for security purposes and that in order to unlock it you must enter your information, including credit card and a social security number. It is my understanding that Apple will NEVER request your social security number, fyi. This is what the email looks like.

User uploaded file

null-OTHER, Other OS, Apple ID - scam and phishing

Posted on Mar 9, 2017 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2017 2:03 PM

Thanks for sharing this.

One real fast way to tell if a message or letter is from Apple...

Apple knows your name and will use it in their emails.

"Dear Customer" is a dead giveaway to a fake email.

The scammers can steal the look and feel of Apple's communication, but they do not know your name.

If on a Mac/PC, mouse over any links in the email as well.

They are likely to point you anywhere but https://apple.com.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2017 2:03 PM in response to Johaymar

Thanks for sharing this.

One real fast way to tell if a message or letter is from Apple...

Apple knows your name and will use it in their emails.

"Dear Customer" is a dead giveaway to a fake email.

The scammers can steal the look and feel of Apple's communication, but they do not know your name.

If on a Mac/PC, mouse over any links in the email as well.

They are likely to point you anywhere but https://apple.com.

Legit looking scam email from Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.