Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods disconnect on calls AND music

This is less of a question and more of a quick report. My AirPods purchased on 3/7/2017 randomly disconnect from my iPhone 6s Plus when I'm listening to Apple Music, a podcast and do the strange, involuntary audio transfer back to my iPhone on a call. Where it differs with music/podcasts is that all audio just stops, whereas with calls the audio stays active and gets transferred to the iPhone.

I also have an Apple Watch Series 0.

I'm just posting to let people know this issue is NOT LIMITED to just calls. It happens on music/podcasts too.

I'm into it with Apple Support and have performed all the steps on their checklist. Will be getting a callback soon to tell them that I'm still having the issues.

The only reliable workaround for me is to swipe up to control center on my iPhone and manually reselect the AirPods. Putting them in and out of the case doesn't always work, neither does temporarily removing them from my ears to force auto ear detection to do its thing...sometimes those two extra steps work, but not always. Dunno what's going on.

Hasn't happened on my iPad Mini 2 or MacBook Air, during my limited time with AirPods. The only minor thing on my iPad is that the headphone icon won't always appear in the upper right hand corner when they're connected and working. Weird.

I own the BeatsX as well, none of these issues have manifested with them.

iOS 8.4, Apple Music

Posted on Mar 10, 2017 12:21 PM

3 replies

Mar 17, 2017 4:39 PM in response to Sean4510

Got my replacement AirPods today via Fedex. A few hours with them on multiple devices running latest non-beta releases of macOS and iOS. So far, so good.

I did mention to Apple support that my iPhone, since updating to iOS 10, had been pausing itself like it had a mind of its own. Annoying and mystifying. I thought it was Apple Music just asking me to interact with it once in a while. I looked this up and decided to force close all apps (tons of them), then do a hard reset on my iPhone/power cycle Apple Watch Series 0. Maybe this contributed to the problems? Although, my previous pair of AirPods wouldn't just pause, they'd disconnect entirely from the iPhone.

Fingers crossed this may have fixed it for me. Usage over coming days will tell or not.

These attached tips seemed to help others. But yeah, from what I'm seeing, the fix may rest with iOS 10.3.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 29, 2017 9:30 PM in response to D'AnconiaCopper

i have this issue although never experienced disconnection while in a phone call, originally i thought it was bluetooth interference but the disconnects usually happen around the same time everyday and not being around anything that could interfere. i thought it could be my iphone 6 being bent out of shape and malfunctioning but im out of ideas as not even the apple store in my area can figure it out, the airpods feel like a waste of 250 because of this problem yet i cant go back to wired headphones because of the bent phone not wanting to keep the headphone jack connected.

AirPods disconnect on calls AND music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.