Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Plus not really water resistant.

So i went to Mexico for my wedding. Ended up going in the pool. Took my phone with me. Pool is 3 feet of water. How i know ? I am 6' and water was to my waist. Wanted to take a picture of my now wife underwater. I submerged the phone maybe a foot under water to take a picture and it looked great(was extremely happy). Later in the day I went back to room to clean up and change for dinner. After coming out of the air conditioned room, I tried to take a picture of something and noticed my lens was fogged up. This was 2 weeks ago and didn't think much of it since phone functioned perfectly and the fog disappeared in an hour. Yesterday noticed a yellow tint in the bottom left corner of screen and made an appointment at genius bar to either fix phone or replace. Now i started thinking... prob the water got in somehow on that day in the pool.

My assumptions were correct. Tech confirmed the water sensor was triggered and not covered under warranty and its $349+tax to replace. Not ranting here, but just a little frustrated as to how a phone can be rated IP67 and then this happens in a foot of water within 10 sec. Learned my lesson, whatever apple says about water resistance, just do not listen.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 10, 2017 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 10:04 PM

Please read About iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus splash, water, and dust resistance - Apple Support this goes more in-depth about what not do with an the iPhone 7s resistance. Also here is a quick reference to what the article says not to do (or to prevent liquid damage):

• Swimming or bathing with iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
  • Exposing iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus in water
  • Operating iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, including removing screws

Sorry to hear about what happened, but it stated not to be used when swimming and/or submerging it.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2017 10:04 PM in response to vortimus

Please read About iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus splash, water, and dust resistance - Apple Support this goes more in-depth about what not do with an the iPhone 7s resistance. Also here is a quick reference to what the article says not to do (or to prevent liquid damage):

• Swimming or bathing with iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
  • Exposing iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus in water
  • Operating iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, including removing screws

Sorry to hear about what happened, but it stated not to be used when swimming and/or submerging it.

Jan 17, 2018 6:46 AM in response to Razz213

Razz213 wrote:

We all know its excluded, this is due to the reason the iPhone 7 is NOT water resistant despite what Apple claims or states. This has nothing to do with Water "proof" and water "resistant" statements. IP67 simply means; Immersion up to 1m depth for 30 minutes. No argument here. If this is not the case Apple shouldn't state it is, Its misleading.

Apple is extremely clear about what it means:

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

May 18, 2017 3:56 AM in response to m.adil143

iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

Jul 26, 2017 12:16 PM in response to vortimus

Same thing happened to me. Took phone into pool to snap a couple pictures of the kids playing. Took 1 10 sec video underwater. Now home button is all jacked up. Took in to Genius Bar and said strip indicated that water got into phone, but said that seal around screen was tight and good. Said water likely got in through sim port. Such BS considering I have ALWAYS been extremely cautious with my phones, and was only going off info Apple advertised - water resistant to 6 ft for 30 mins. My time wasn’t even a FRACTION of that. Apple has lost a customer for life. I will now be switching all my devices to android over the next couple years - that includes MAC Book Air, 3 I watched, 3 iPhones, 4 iPad mini’s and 2 apple tv’s. I lost all trust and respect in apple after this!

Aug 6, 2017 9:34 PM in response to Briansyddall

This is true that the iPhone 7 is not water proof or water resistant. Same happened to me and the phone just got splashed on just like their Apple commercials. Since the iPhone is not water proof, it is possible you can set off the water indicator in the phone and still use it for hours, days, or years. But once you find something really wrong with the phone and Apple opens the phone and sees the water indicator, they won't fix it. Automatic water damaged. My phone was working for over 20 hours until I got the vertical lines.

So even if Apple iPhone 7 has this water resistant rating, they still tell you don't get it wet. And if you do anything like their own commericals, it is at your own risk.

Good luck and let the Water NOT be with you.

Aug 13, 2017 8:53 PM in response to pjgumila

Update: Went back to the Apple store for the 3rd time and they are not able to diagnose my phone as to why water got into it. They stated they don't really do that. So they hooked me up with Apple support on the phone while I was at the store and spoke with a Senior Advisor and gave me the same speech as the Genius bar person at the store. Felt like she was pitching me to purchase Apple Care, but I can't get Apple Care on the replacement phone anyway. Stupid.

Both the Genius bar person and Senior Advisor stated that the phone is Water Resistant not Water Proof, but using the phone in normal use within the water resistant specification may allow water into the phone. Both of them couldn't explain Apple's commercials when dealing with water and both state you are not supposed to get the phone wet. They wanted me to treat the iPhone 7 like the previous iPhones with no water resistance at all. So I have to put my phone in a zip lock bag when I lay my phone next to a pool?

Apple won't even diagnose the issue on how water came in even though there is no physical damage on it. Totally lost faith in the iPhone 7 and might as well get a 6S. Apple hasn't perfected the Water Resistant thing and don't see it coming in the new one either.

Keep your zip locks handy...

Aug 14, 2017 8:05 PM in response to Meiseman5

Just like me Apple Store showed me the water damage indicator by the SIM door was triggered. I asked if there will be any diagnosis on why water got in thru the SIM door, but they don't do that type of analysis. Genius Bar told me, that they cannot diagnose if there is a flaw with the SIM door on my phone which I was hoping Apple would research so they can send out a Tech Bulletin or something and inform their consumers for future issues.

I lost confidence in the iPhone 7. Looking for an iPhone 6S until Apple figures out the water resistant thing.

Sep 11, 2017 4:00 AM in response to vortimus

Hi,

I had the same issue. I was told at the Genius Bar that a rain drop may have migrated in the ear piece at the top of the phone. I challenge the IP67 rating as my phone has lived in an Otterbox and never been subjected to pressurized water or submerged. I contacted my states attourney general and it sounds like they have got a mess load of these complaints so let's see what happens.

Oct 26, 2017 8:53 AM in response to vortimus

Hubby has had his iPhone 7 for maybe three months. It suddenly stopped working. Apple’s diagnosis: phone has been submerged. What?

If that had had happened he would have admitted it. He’s been thinking, thinking. Maybe it got a little bit of rain on it? At any rate, there was no prolonged contact with water, and it was most definitely not submerged. Now they want $319 (plus tax) to repair it.

So now he’s gone back to his old iPhone 4, which HAS fallen in a hot tub and survived and has a smashed screen. Given all the thousands we’ve spent on Apple products, this is really leaving a bad taste in our mouths.

It seems like apple, with their splash resistant claims, is trying to have it both ways.

Nov 28, 2017 2:08 PM in response to vortimus

Just got back from the apple store after being told my phone needs to be replaced because there's water damage to my Iphone 7. ***? These phones are water resistant up to 3m of water for 30 minutes which is what is stated by every "Genius" at the apple store and that's what I was told when I purchased my phone. I never once submerged my phone but I have been out in a few rain storms while riding my bike and of course my phone got wet which is why I purchased this phone. BTW I specifically asked about this as an example and the "Genius" assured me it wouldn't be an issue. 4 months later I need a new phone because of this ******** sales tactic. I saw we all sue Apple for false advertisement!

Jan 17, 2018 6:42 AM in response to Zorksortronz

We all know its excluded, this is due to the reason the iPhone 7 is NOT water resistant despite what Apple claims or states. This has nothing to do with Water "proof" and water "resistant" statements. IP67 simply means; Immersion up to 1m depth for 30 minutes. No argument here. If this is not the case Apple shouldn't state it is, Its misleading.

Jan 17, 2018 7:03 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Like I said, the phone does not operate within the jurisdiction of an IP67 rating. Why have it there when even they clearly outline its not capable of handling the basic conditions of a IP67 rated product. Its like someone selling you a boat, you take it out on the water and it sinks. You call the manufacture and they say the boat was only tested under laboratory conditions its doesn't actually float- Its stupid and misleading. You can't just "disclaimer" your way out false advertising. Don't get me wrong I like Apple products but Apple is not the company it used to be and nor do they make products like they used to. They are just as good and bad as other manufactures.

iPhone 7 Plus not really water resistant.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.