Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

repeated com.apple.wifi.internal.scanning log messages

Looking at the Diagnostic and Urgent Messages of the Console I see the following message repeated every 10 seconds. Why? Is something wrong? Should this be happening? How can I stop it if not?

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.wifi.internal.scanning

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Hi-Res anti-glare wide screen

Posted on Mar 11, 2017 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2017 5:36 PM

I'm not 100% certain, but if you click on the Wi-Fi menu bar icon and leave the drop down showing, you should notice it scans for new networks at a regular interval. The message may be related to that. In general, unless you are experiencing problems, the Console messages are for the most part useless.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2017 5:36 PM in response to MLModel

I'm not 100% certain, but if you click on the Wi-Fi menu bar icon and leave the drop down showing, you should notice it scans for new networks at a regular interval. The message may be related to that. In general, unless you are experiencing problems, the Console messages are for the most part useless.

Apr 6, 2017 2:17 PM in response to MLModel

This issue has been driving me crazy for some time. Every 10 seconds or so, performance on my machine would suffer dramatically. It was not a CPU issue, and I couldn't see anything related to a process eating a bunch of I/O. Finally, I used ping to just watch what was going on between my MacBook Pro and the wireless gateway. Every 10 seconds, 1-3 ping packets would be lost, and then the next several packets would be delayed by 300-900ms. And every few minutes, I would have packet loss for 30 seconds or more.

In Console, I kept getting the "com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.wifi.internal.scanning No Error" message, and it coincides with the ping packet loss.

Next thing I tried was to HUP the WiFiAgent.

ps auxww | grep -i wifiagent

found the corresponding process...

kill -HUP {pid}

And now it is working just fine... back to ~2.5ms response times and no packet loss at all. And, all of the "No Error" messages in the Console stopped occurring.

Something clearly set it on this bad path, and I would like to figure out what that is. But for now, it appears to be better.

The machine impacted is a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) running Sierra 10.12.4.

Hope that this helps you as well.

repeated com.apple.wifi.internal.scanning log messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.