Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blur a rectangular surface

Hi,

I'm working on a effect to blur only a rectangular surface in a clip.

So I made a plugin effect in Motion, clone the source effect to apply a gaussian blur, put it in a new group on the top of the source effect and mask the clone with a rectangular mask.

As soon as I activate the mask, the part to blur becomes almost clear instead of staying blurry. Like there is a blend...

Example, before I activate the mask :

User uploaded file

And after :

User uploaded file

Only a veil appears instead of a blur.

Any idea ?

Thx.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Mar 11, 2017 3:42 PM

9 replies

Mar 17, 2017 8:30 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi,

Your remark is exact about my rigs. I tried to summarize them like the position and the dimension (like in this tutorial at 11:01) but only the width is published instead of all the parameters :

User uploaded file

But in fact, I just understood why : I must close the triangle before publishing... 😝

And yes, I was looking for an OSC method to adjust the mask but the only solution I found was in this tutorial and I don't think it's pretty smart (the offset of the Disc Wrap (*** !!!))... I will looking at yours if it is different.

Thx a lot.

Mar 21, 2017 8:02 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi,

I don't want an OSC to control all my parameters but just the mask's dimensions and position.

And once again, indeed I did that effect quickly in FCPX but my purpose is to learn how to do it with Motion. Also, I have to duplicate my clip in FCPX and do a compounded clip (in case I modify the clip (color, length, speed, etc)) to apply my effects and the mask on the duplicated clip like in the screenshot bellow right ?

User uploaded file

Whereas with a Motion's plugin, I can do it quickly with an effect. No need to duplicate my clip with the clone trick, it's done automatically and I will need to use this effect several times in my project to present places.

But maybe you have another solution ?

Thx for the OSC link, I'll try it and integrate it ASAP.

Mar 21, 2017 2:44 PM in response to Combo

ok, … quick'n dirty, I made a plug-in:

User uploaded file:

after download, unzip and install in ~Movies/Motion Templates/Effects, you'll find it in FCPX (vers. 10_3 or higher) under the Effects Tab.

When applied to a clip, you have the following options:

In the Inspector, you set blur and feather

with the OSC, you set hight and width

If you like to see how it's done, open the 'rec mask.moti' file with Motion:

User uploaded file

there's the Clone, the Gaussian and the Mask

the Masks hight and width are linked to the OSC group.

The OSC has the Kaleidotile effect applied - for a rectangle-controller

(the Clamp is just to prohibit rotation)

… done.

ahh, I forgot: for animation/keyframing, you should publish those parameters

or, you apply some rate behaviour …

or, … etc etc etc

You can download the plugin from my dropbox >>click<<

hope this helps 😉

Mar 16, 2017 11:45 PM in response to Combo

Combo wrote:

It is like yours with rigs moreover.

does the word 'over-rigged' exist? 😉

You're rigging a lot of parameters …

Because the 'lower' part in your screenshot doesn't show to me any suspicious, I could imagine, something in the rigs is set wrong … if you like/want/dare, you could share that plugin 'somewhere', so I can download it ....

… you consider an OSC right?

Try the Kaleidotile-Filter ... for creating square OSCs, like in my TimeCodeVanisher ....

Mar 20, 2017 5:01 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi,

I read your topic but I did not see any tutorial about OSC, only a package to install a plugin but the aim of mine is not exactly the same : it is to reproduce an effect I did in FCPX that you can see in a teaser I did here (under the title to emphasize it). Also, I do it to learn how to do this kind of plugin for my works.

How can I do an OSC like the one is used in FCPX when we create a shape mask ?

Thx.

Mar 20, 2017 10:58 PM in response to Combo

Combo wrote:

How can I do an OSC like the one is used in FCPX when we create a shape mask ?

Not in Motion, you always have to do the detour 'borrowing' an existing OSC from some othe effect.

best description of that topic:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/1835-the-mysteries-of-osc-in-final-cut -pro-x-revealed-part-1

(this is a three part article!)

sorry for confusing you with my link, no, no tutorial, just my idea, you 'steal' from my plugin how to create a rectangle-OSC …

one, perhaps, silly question: why do you want an OSC with all those parameters?? Or even a 'free form mask' as with the Shape Mask in FCPX?

your example shows an animated, full-screen-width blur … that's tinkered together within minutes in Motion … (?)

Blur a rectangular surface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.