Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i install smime certificate on my iphone?

I am on the phone with Apple support trying to figure out how to properly install a freely downloaded Comodo S/MIME certificate on the iPhone. One the CA issues the certificate to my email, then I try to open the file for installation on the iPhone but the only option is to add it to iCloud.

S/MIME is turned on but I cannot add the certificate and Sign or Encrypt by default to turned on they are all grayed out.

Please help, this is a great security feature that we should be making use of but is quite tricky to set up. Maybe a release should be issued to make the installation process more streamlined you could team up with Comodo, Geotrust, or Symantec to issue these.

iPhone 7, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2017 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2017 5:37 AM

Does your email provider give you an "encrypt by default" option? If so:

Use S/MIME to send encrypted messages in an Exchange environment in iOS - Apple Support

2 replies

how do i install smime certificate on my iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.