Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos app keeps crashing

Whenever I open up the Photos app, it keeps showing that there are no photos or videos in my camera library, but they gradually start to become restored after a while. But then after a hundred or so photos being restored, it crashes and when I open it up again, it goes back to not having any photos or videos. I tried to back it up and import my photos and videos from my phone into a hard drive, but they don't show up. I also tried a soft and hard reset, but still, it hasn't fixed anything. If it helps, lately my phone has also been resetting itself out of nowhere.

iPhone 6, iOS 10.0.1

Posted on Mar 12, 2017 8:49 AM

15 replies

Mar 12, 2017 9:15 AM in response to chloec87974

Since a forced restart did not help try a System Restore. First backup your device using iTunes. Also import your photos to your computer and copy all important data. Try restoring as New first and testing it. If it works then try restoring the backup and test it again. The backup could be corrupted. Here are the steps for a Restore:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

If the above steps do not help, you may have to have it tested at an Apple store.

Jun 4, 2017 2:49 PM in response to chloec87974

I'm having the same issue and I went to the Apple Store today. It started crashing after I left. My problem started when I filled my memory on my phone. Go to Settings/General/Storage/Manage Storage see how much free space you have. If its less than a few gigs, go through and delete as many as many high capacity apps you can. Then restart your phone and see how much memory you freed up. Open Photos and see if it will restore any photos. Scroll down to the bottom of your photos and see of its restoring. It can take awhile. If it sitcks then double click the home button and swipe up Photos to close the app and then reopen it and let it try to continue restoring.

Im still trying other options and will update if I find any solutions to the crashing prob.

Jul 9, 2017 1:22 AM in response to elcpu

I am thinking of it too. After deleted some videos and pictures it suddenly started doing it to me and never stops restoring. When I open the photos app it is starting to restore my 8.200 photos and my device is going to burn because of its temperature. Then crashes and starts again... I also think it maybe start after I create an album and move 200 or more photos to that album... Because when camera roll restoring is finished with no problem, it starts to rebuild the albums and it crashes while it is at the last photos. How to fix this?

Dec 3, 2017 7:21 PM in response to chloec87974

This is happening to my daughter, too. We have deleted several large apps, and rebooted the phone numerous times. I even tried to install PhotoSync to see if we could see the photos there, but we cannot download the app. icloud shows a backup file, yet the phone says there is no backup. Based on what I see with this thread, there is still no solution. Our phones are going off lease tomorrow and we need this solved. As with anyone, these photos mean everything to my daughter. We have been Apple users, both with computers and phones, for years, but if this isn't solved, we're gone/ This should not be happening under any circumstances.

Dec 27, 2017 3:28 PM in response to legend85

Same problem here 😭My husbands graduation pictures are in there and I've tried everything! I called Apple last night, the guy did remote access of my phone, showed me things to get rid of, one being the actual update that took up one whole gb! Then I even purchased more iCloud space! $3 and all day they're appearing and then they go! Everything else on my phone is running like crap too, I was supposed to get a call back from a supervisor I spoke to last night named Alex and that didn't happen. In my iCloud setting it says it's restoring the photos but nothing is happening! These people don't understand we don't want to lose our photos when they suggest system restore! It's so frustrating because these phones are not cheap and they're these mini pcs basically but they want to act like "crap happens" when you call! This shouldn't be happening for what they advertise! 😤

Jan 2, 2018 10:19 PM in response to chloec87974

Although I haven't figured out how to stop the photos app from continuously restoring and crashing, there is some hope.

I was able to recover my photos using dropbox. There's similar services as well like google drive or flickr. The key is the iphone app should have an option to automatically upload photos from your camera roll.

Example-- In dropbox app, in photo tab select to automatically upload new photos from your camera roll. (I think in dropbox app settings you have to allow it to upload videos too)

The app will find the photos as your phone is restoring them. You will have to do this several times has your phone fails to restore the photos and crashes. Find a spot with good wifi and good luck :)

Jan 3, 2018 3:40 AM in response to DK000

I have the exact same issue and somehow managed to sync all my photos and backed them up to my Mac. BTW I have an iPhone 6s probably had it just over 2 years. This started happening a couple of days ago and my phone has been being really slow. I click photos and I get the same thing it says (0) and then they slowly load in and sometimes my phone crashes while I am on it or while its loading the photos and then its back to step one of it saying I have 0 photos. It is strange that is happening and I hope my photos are properly backed up... I have other info like contacts/messages/app info though that I don't want to be lost and I don't want to restore. Apple really need to attend this issue... Anyone want to try and take further action and create a poll or something or try and contact apple themselves rather than this support thing which doesn't have any support...

photos app keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.