Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a pop up that suggests that if I would like to install a java-line tool, I need to download a JDK. It appears randomly and often. As far I'm aware, I don't need JDK. Is there a way to stop these pop ups from appearing on my screen?

I have a pop up that suggests that if I would like to install a java-line tool on my MacBook, I need to download a JDK. It appears randomly and often. As far as I'm aware, I don't need a JDK. Is there a way to stop these pop ups from appearing on my screen in settings?

MacBook, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Mar 13, 2017 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2017 11:58 AM

Scam pop-up

1. Click  in the menu bar and choose “Force Quit”.

In the window that opens up, select “Safari” and click “Force Quit.

2. Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

Additional steps if needed:

3. Turn off wifi and turn it back on.

Turn off Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi off”.

Visit another website.

You won’t have internet connection.

Turn on Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi on”.

Select your Network.

4. Click Safari in the Safari menu bar and choose “Clear History”.

Select an appropriate time frame.

5. If this doesn’t help, use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to remove malware.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Download, install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.

Reselect your search engine, reset homepage and disable all extensions and test.

Restart the Mac.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2017 11:58 AM in response to downtown1db

Scam pop-up

1. Click  in the menu bar and choose “Force Quit”.

In the window that opens up, select “Safari” and click “Force Quit.

2. Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

Additional steps if needed:

3. Turn off wifi and turn it back on.

Turn off Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi off”.

Visit another website.

You won’t have internet connection.

Turn on Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi on”.

Select your Network.

4. Click Safari in the Safari menu bar and choose “Clear History”.

Select an appropriate time frame.

5. If this doesn’t help, use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to remove malware.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Download, install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.

Reselect your search engine, reset homepage and disable all extensions and test.

Restart the Mac.

Mar 22, 2017 4:57 AM in response to downtown1db

Some software is written in the Java language and in order to run that software you need either a Java Runtime Environment - JRE or a Java Development Kit - JDK installed. On top of that there have been three major versions, 6, 7, and currently 8.

Note: a JDK also includes the matching version JRE.

Apple used to provide a version 6 JDK, Apple have indicated they no longer intend to maintain this and it might therefore not work at all in the next version of OS X but right now it still works in Sierra and earlier. It can be downloaded here Download Java for OS X 2015-001

An example of what might be considered a legitimate application that uses Java is Adobe Creative Suite CS 6.

Now because Java can potentially run on nearly any computer, Mac, Windows, Linux, Unix etc. it is used by a lot of malware authors to write their vile software in a form that can 'infect' all types of computer. Without more information we cannot tell from your post what is triggering this message, I would consider it unlikely in this case to be Adobe Creative Suite.

Note: Different Java apps may require different versions of the Java software but in this case it sounds like it is wanting the old Apple version I listed rather than the newer Oracle provided version 7 or 8.

Oct 30, 2017 8:26 AM in response to downtown1db

The solution by John Lockwood (thanks) has solved my problem on Macbook with HighSierra: "Apple used to provide a version 6 JDK, Apple have indicated they no longer intend to maintain this and it might therefore not work at all in the next version of OS X but right now it still works in Sierra and earlier. It can be downloaded here Download Java for OS X 2015-001

Mar 22, 2017 7:10 AM in response to John Lockwood

Good morning John. Thanks for building this out to include some risks. You're knowledge is way above me so I don't have anything comment. After reading your post I note the following for me:

• I'm not using Adobe Creative Suite so I think I'm ok with what I did. At least I haven't noticed any diminished functionality with my Adobe version.
  • I went back and looked at the other links in the library launch agents and didn't see anything untoward so removing the Facebook agent seemed reasonably risk free for me. I use Facebook but not agressively so the feature I removed is again, for me, without risk.
  • I run a malware program weekly and Avast Mac Security every time startup my Mac so I'm hoping that sneaky petes trying to infect me via Java or other means get caught before they get through the door.

Again, many thanks for you expertise to help those of us less savvy. Cheers

Jun 27, 2017 1:46 PM in response to downtown1db

Q: I have a pop up that suggests that if I would like to install a java-line tool, I need to download a JDK. It appears ran ... I have a pop up that suggests that if I would like to install a java-line tool, I need to download a JDK. It appears randomly and often. As far I'm aware, I don't need JDK. Is there a way to stop these pop ups from appearing on my screen? more

I have a pop up that suggests that if I would like to install a java-line tool, I need to download a JDK. It appears randomly and often. As far I'm aware, I don't need JDK. Is there a way to stop these pop ups from appearing on my screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.