Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch causing wrist pain

Hi, I've seen some people complaing about wrist pain potentially caused by the Apple Watch. Bought mine about six weeks ago and started to feel a pain in my wrist- and hand joints on my left arm (NOT a rash or skin irritation). What are the possible causes/solutions? From a health perspective, this can't be good? If the Watch is causing the pain, Apple must have some solution even if it entails that I get a refund for the product? Again, if it is caused by the Watch, it is affecting my exercise program and it will be sad if I can't use the Watch for what I bought it for. Apple, any ideas / response? Please.

Posted on Mar 14, 2017 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2017 7:40 AM

I just got my Apple Watch a week ago. And where the glass bubble sits on my wrist is where I get pain. I never had pain there until Apple Watch. I have always worn a watch before. And never had pain from any watch before. I have no skin rash. No redness. Just pain. I’m not wearing the watch too right as I can move the watch, but it’s nit too loose. And the pain is only where the glass bubble sits. I see I’m not the only person complaining. So this isn’t just an issue for a doctor. This is an issue Apple needs to have some concerns on! When people are spending hundreds of dollars on a watch, it shouldn’t be giving us a medi problem that we have to spend more money going to a doctor! I say maybe some lawyers need contacted.

126 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2017 7:40 AM in response to Div-man

I just got my Apple Watch a week ago. And where the glass bubble sits on my wrist is where I get pain. I never had pain there until Apple Watch. I have always worn a watch before. And never had pain from any watch before. I have no skin rash. No redness. Just pain. I’m not wearing the watch too right as I can move the watch, but it’s nit too loose. And the pain is only where the glass bubble sits. I see I’m not the only person complaining. So this isn’t just an issue for a doctor. This is an issue Apple needs to have some concerns on! When people are spending hundreds of dollars on a watch, it shouldn’t be giving us a medi problem that we have to spend more money going to a doctor! I say maybe some lawyers need contacted.

Jan 1, 2018 5:39 AM in response to Div-man

It’s not just me! I got my watch 9 days ago for Christmas from my husband and I started having the pain almost immediately. It does not appear to be dermatological. The pain feels neuropathic (numbness, tingling, electrical) with the two main focal points for me being the wrist and elbow. The pain persists regardless of how the watch is worn and resolves when the watch is removed for several hours to a day.

Objectively, I do not know how the watch is causing this reaction but for me the location and temporal nature of the pain in association with use of the watch and resolution when the watch is removed, along with the fact that I have no previous history of arm pain (neuropathic or otherwise) and no other concomitant disease states that would likely cause neuropathic pain, leads me to be fairly confident in my conclusion that the watch is causing the pain.

As tempted as I am to try to stick it out, the pain is only getting worse and nerve pain can always be an indication of nerve damage. I’m so disappointed but my next step will be to look into how to return the watch. I do not suggest anyone ignore or try to preserve through this pain. Pain is your body’s way of telling you something is wrong.

Jan 11, 2018 12:07 PM in response to JerryEMIS

Hi

If you experience redness, swelling, itchiness or any other irritation or discomfort on your skin around or beneath your watch or band, then Apple recommends that you remove your Apple Watch and consult a doctor / physician before wearing it again.

Skin reactions can be a result of various causes including:

• Allergies (eg to nickel).
  • Extended exposure to irritants (eg soap or sweat).
  • Environmental factors.
  • Wearing the band too tightly or too loosely.

More information, including tips from Apple:

Oct 11, 2017 3:48 PM in response to Div-man

Got several different new Apple Watch 3's (42, 38, different bands, all cellular) and within 5 minutes wearing time I feel a similar uncomfortable/odd sensation in my wrist. It is a little bit warm as well but that could be due to the band material.

And for the usual questions or assumptions I've seen posted...

• No, not wearing it too tight - can fit fingers in between wrist and band
  • Tried on other wrist and feel the same sensation, but takes a bit longer to be noticed
  • I am not overturning my wrist when I get notifications and thus overusing muscles - I just got put it on a few minutes ago and I've tried not turning my wrist at all for some time and still get the sensation.
  • I'm a regular watch wearer for 30+ years
  • Average build and average size wrists. Nothing out of the ordinary physically...mentally is another story 🙂

Something coincidental maybe, but when I rest my Macbook on my lap for a period of time or use it on an airplane, I get an odd/uncomfortable sensation in my lower stomach area. Am I the only one who feels this? I think it is a similar odd/sensation on my wrist.

Maybe I'm just not meant to have Apple products touching me. Really like the Watch though...guess it is going back. 😟

Dec 12, 2017 1:16 PM in response to mlewin

Hey Mlewin. Have you found a solution to this? I just returned my apple watch series 3 I purchased last week because of the same feeling in my wrist/arm. The employee at Apple who handled my return said he's never heard of this, but there are tons of people complaining about it online. I love the watch, but can't stand the feeling it gives me.

Jan 11, 2018 12:01 PM in response to Div-man

I have a series 1 and have had it for little over a year. I wear it all the time, sometimes in the shower. Lately noticed a stiffness in wrist and I can pop my wrist if I move it in a circular fashion.

When I take the watch off at night, I am fine. Then about afternoon, my wrist starts killing me. I take the watch off and it my wrist is okay. Been hurting for a few weeks and just made the correlation (thought is was old age).

So I am going to do a little test and turn off the haptics and see what happens.

May 14, 2018 3:30 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Sorry, bud! It's not possible to prove that "no one" in the world is sensitive to WiFi or LTE. I know for a fact that I am and others are too. I don't need any scientist to tell me what's causing me pain. I have been in the IT industry for over 20 years and I use all Apple products. I have an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro. I am sensitive when all three devices are on WiFi. So, I relocated my router to another room and wired Cat6 to my MBP. The issue is not "Apple" related. I have to admit, I experience fewer issues with Apple gadgets than gadgets made by other companies like Samsung. I use to carry two cell phones on my belt on my right hip for years until a cyst grew there that I had removed. Now I keep them away from me as much as possible. Like not keeping the phone in my pocket all day and using earbuds for calls. Also, not sleeping with the phone next to my head! I don't expect for people that do not have any issues to understand, but those that do have issues understanding. For those that experience pain and discomfort from any device, listen to your own body!

Jan 11, 2018 12:07 PM in response to JerryEMIS

JerryEMIS wrote:

. . I wear it all the time, sometimes in the shower. ..

Note that:

• Apple specifically advises against exposing Apple Watch to soap or soapy water - such as when showering or bathing - or to high velocity water.
  • Apple advises against subjecting Apple Watch to dramatic changes in temperature and/or humidity.
  • Apple Watch should be kept within the recommended ambient temperature ranges.

More information:

About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

Important handling information

Keep Apple Watch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Mar 5, 2018 8:01 PM in response to Div-man

Hello,

I have owned my watch for over a month now and am not having any of the problems in this thread. As with all products, i.e., cosmetics, clothing, shoes (some costing well over $400), if they are causing discomfort in any way I would discontinue use and see about a refund. A trip to the doctor never hurts. I went in because of aforementioned shoes causing discomfort in my toes. It turns out I have arthritis and cannot wear certain shoes. Perhaps the watch is pressing on a nerve or magnifying an underlying medical issue.

I wish you good luck and hope you are able to solve this problem.

Dec 12, 2017 1:42 PM in response to KiltedTim

A family member is a doctor. 26 years strong. Has no idea what could be causing it. I'm very athletic and workout 6 days/week. Never have had a wrist injury or problem. I tried wearing the watch on the other wrist with the same results. I also had to unpair/pair the watch due to a text notification issue and I kept the watch on my wrist while this was going on. The feeling increased and felt like it was burning while it was unpairing/pairing. A doctor is not going to have a solution unless they understand how the watch was built and works. I've owned at least 30 watches up to this point of my life and have never had an issue. Tons of people are complaining about the exact same thing and until I experienced it, I never knew such a complaint existed. There is definitely some relation between the watch and the pain.

Feb 19, 2018 12:05 PM in response to halfadevil

halfadevil wrote:

Yes it can, as it has nothing to do with the shape or tightness of the band, it is being caused from the watches sensors that measure you heartbeat.

No, there is nothing in the sensors (they are really just a type of light) that can cause pain in your arm.

There's a very straightforward explanation of how the sensor works here:

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

Jan 16, 2018 3:17 PM in response to Div-man

I, too, am having wrist pain issues when wearing my new Apple Watch 3 (38mm with a Sport Band). My watch doesn't have the GPS feature and I use it primarily as a watch (read: I'm not using apps frequently). I've relatively sensitive skin, but the skin under the watch itself is fine. The pain is primarily on the inside (palm side) of the wrist. I had surgery to treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (in both wrists) more than 10 yrs. ago, so I've been wondering if the pain was because the watch band was fastened too tight (compressing the nerve(s) in my wrist). Loosening the band may help somewhat, but doesn't eliminate the problem. I was wondering if the width of the watch and/or band is part of the problem. But then I checked these forums and realized that I'm clearly not the only person who's experiencing wrist pain (that radiates into the palm and up towards the elbow).

To help figure out what's going on, I encourage folks who continue this thread to clarify:

1. type of watch band worn (and whether changing it had an impact on symptoms)?;
  2. prior history of wrist pain/joint problems?;
  3. location of wrist pain (palm side?);
  4. series of Apple Watch (1, 2 or 3)--did you experience pain with one series but not another? Which one?
  5. watch + or - GPS?

I'm not going to wade into the whole WiFi "allergy" notion. Honestly, even if it's "a thing", I'm hard-pressed to understand why it'd cause joint pain--especially on the side of the joint opposite where the "radiation" would be emitted. (I.e., at least with me, the pain is predominantly on the inside of the wrist--on the other side from where the watch itself is strapped.)

Mar 14, 2017 10:39 AM in response to Div-man

Div-man,

Your questions deserve to be answered by your physician.

FWIW, I had a some wrist pain after I started using my watch, but I discovered that it was because I was overusing it when I was learning how best to use the features. After I better understood how to use it, I consulted it less, and the pain disappeared.

User uploaded file

Apple Watch causing wrist pain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.