Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install Sierra WITHOUT having to install OSX Server?

Background:

When I bought my Mac-mini (2011) I bought the server version of OS X (Snow Leopard I think). When the next version (Lion) came out, I just upgraded the OS, and sacrificed the server option (because I didn't want to pay for it and I didn't use any server features anyway)

Repeat for Mountain Lion - I just upgraded the OS

Repeat for Mavericks

Repeat for Yosemite

But Sierrra won't let me just upgrade the OS. When I get to the install options, the HDD that contains my current Yosemite install is greyed out, and when I hover over the greyed out icon I see a message:

"macOS Sierra supports macOS Server version 5.2. To upgrade your Server data you will first need to install OS X 10.10 or 10.11 and OS X Server version 4 or 5." (See image below)

I don't WANT to upgrade my server. I don't WANT any of the server functions, and had thought I'd lost them when I did the Lion upgrade back in 2011/12

So my question is, How do I install Sierra WITHOUT having to install OSX Server version 4 or 5 first?

RedNectar

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2017 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2017 11:43 AM

Delete the /Library/Server folder. If you have Server.app in /Applications, delete that also. Try your Sierra install again.

4 replies

Jun 19, 2017 12:49 AM in response to rednectar

Since you did not originally do a clean install of Lion (essentially

wiping out Snow Leopard Server), it is quite possible remnants of the

Snow Leopard Server have been "toted along" with every subsequent

upgrade and that is what is likely being seen by the Sierra installer.

Since Snow Leopard Server was integrated into the OS and not a seperate

install. Removing the server components will likely not be easy.

What you can try, install Sierra to a different hard drive. Then after the installation,

boot into the new Sierra install and use Migration Assistant to migrate the current

install to the fresh Sierra install. The process should place any component that is

know to be incompatible into a separate folder at the top level.

Apr 11, 2017 11:31 AM in response to woodmeister50

woodmeister50 wrote:

Since Snow Leopard Server was integrated into the OS and not a seperate

install. Removing the server components will likely not be easy.

I bought osx server as separate install of Maverick.

I have exactly same issue than rednectar.

Whatever the solution, it is pain I'm not willing to support.

I used to pay (Apple) premium products to avoid spending time on forums on "how to do this or that".

How do I install Sierra WITHOUT having to install OSX Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.