Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google is blocking Mail app from my gmail account

I have a gmail email account that I have been using with my Mail app for a long time. Now, Google is blocking the Mail app from accessing my gmail saying the Mail app is insecure. What should I do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 14, 2017 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2017 2:10 PM

You may have to allow less secure apps within your Google Account settings.

Try this article:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

If that doesn't work, I would reach out to Google since the issue is caused by them.

4 replies

Dec 4, 2017 10:32 AM in response to Andreas DE

The reason I found that option with Google is because I couldn't add a Gmail account to Microsoft's Outlook either. It was also being called "insecure." It's not just with Apple.

Google and Apple don't like each other. Remember when Apple stopped using Google Maps on iPhone?

It's not a less secure app, it's probably just Google being Google. I use Chrome at my job at a school and Chrome says the XEROX website isn't secure either when I log into an admin account. I literally have to click the advanced options and proceed anyway in order to sign in. Basically if Google has some sort of app, extension, or website that does the same thing, they want you to use that instead of anything else.

Oct 17, 2017 5:16 AM in response to Pmintz25

I have the same issue since 2-3 days, after having used a Google account via Apple Mail for several years.

Changing the security settings in my Google account helps - but of course that makes my account more vulnerable to attacks, so I don't really like it.

The main question is: Why is Google seeing Apple Mail as a "less secure" app?

Is that just a mistake on their side - or do they have a good reason for this? I hope that someone at Apple is working with Google on resolving this, because whether for a reason or not, this label is not exactly good marketing for Apple.

Google is blocking Mail app from my gmail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.