Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac shuts down few seconds after power on

My 2011 27'' iMac had a graphic card problem (vertical lines on the screen)

I took the opportunity and upgraded the card from 1gb to 2gb.

When I turn on the mac it start to boot and suddenly shuts off

I can turn it back on again and it happens again and again.

I tried to make NVRAM Reset and it didn't help.

I took out the power cord from the mac, waited few seconds, pressed the power button for 10 seconds, then, I pressed the power button and hold while putting back in the power cord and powered on the iMac.

the fans started to run at full speed and the iMac is running good and stable without shutting down but the fans running at full speed.

i made a SMC Reset, the fans started to run normally but the problem appeared again and the iMac shuts off.

#1 led is turned on while the iMac is turned off

#1,2,3,4 leds turned on after few seconds

after the iMac shuts off #1 led is the only one on

i made an hardware test while on "safe mode" (fans at full speed) and i got error code: 4VDC/1/40000003: VIDEO CONTROLLER

any advice?

Thanks in advance

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2017 1:39 PM

12 replies

Mar 15, 2017 9:32 AM in response to BDAqua

I hope the cars is good.

I bought it from eBay from a private seller who claims that the card is good and was removed from a working Imac, the same as mine.

I will disable and reassamble it again.. to make sure the connections are good...

if the card has no custom chip for apple would i see its model in "about this mac"?

and yes, the iMac runs fine in safe mode but the fans running high...

Mar 15, 2017 2:44 PM in response to aviad295

My recommendation is to return the card for refund and work with an AASP to see if they can secure a new card for you. You can continue to search for another card however finding a viable card may be challenging. Even a AASP may find it difficult to order one from Apple, however if they do at least it will be new and should work. The downside is it will be more expensive and then you have to determine if you want to invest more time and money into the computer.

Sorry I wish I had a better recommendation but that's what I think the wisest course of action is.

Good luck.

2011 iMac shuts down few seconds after power on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.