Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Easy way to mute AirPods mic while on a call

Got my AirPods a couple weeks ago and I love them! A huge bonus is that the mic works very well on a call. It tunes out background noise and focuses on my voice much better than my LG Bluetooth headset.

One gripe I have is that without a mute button on the AirPods, it is cumbersome to unmute via my iPhone. My iPhone locks after a minute while talking through Bluetooth. It doesn't do this using the speakerphone. When I need to unmute, I must first unlock my iPhone. Then the phone does not instantly return to the call screen, but instead the last app I was using prior to the call. If it's an app (like my work email app that also locks) it requires another fingerprint or passcode unlock before I can easily switch back to the call. Finally, I can unmute. This can take a good 15 seconds of fumbling around.

Am I missing something? There's got to be an easier way to mute/unmute my iPhone while on a Bluetooth device that doesn't have a built in mute function..?

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 14, 2017 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2017 2:11 PM

I'd also love a way to mute by tapping the AirPods, but at least you can skip unlocking your phone to mute: just tap on the active call on the lock screen (the name/number and duration) and it brings up the phone controls where you can mute/unmute.

3 replies

Easy way to mute AirPods mic while on a call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.