Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus Screen Unresponsive

So my iPhone 6 has experienced Gray/white flickering bar at the top of the display and an unresponsive touchscreen.

After some research, it turns out that this is a common and very widespread problem affecting iPhone 6 Plus. And it’s been called the ‘touch disease’.

There are pages and pages of complaints on Apple’s support forum, which to me indicate that Apple is fully aware there’s a hardware issue with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus - but refuses to do anything about it.

A multitude of internet articles seem to imply that the problem isn’t the screen at all but rather it’s the two touchscreen controller chips, or Touch IC chips, on the logic board inside the phone.

The issue is ridiculously widespread and Apple should have issued a recall or maybe a free warranty repair on this problem already.

Instead, Apple is looking to sell folks a new iPhone or offers a replacement for the cost of a repair but with only a 90 day warranty.

if the problem is so widespread, why would I want the same device with only a 90 days warranty? If it's a replacement device that I have to pay for, shouldn't it come with a at least a year warranty?

iPod classic, Windows Vista

Posted on Mar 15, 2017 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2017 11:02 AM

Hello,

You are not talking to Apple here. This is a user based forms.

Taken from Apple's website:

Apple has determined that some iPhone 6 Plus devices may exhibit display flickering or Multi-Touch issues after being dropped multiple times on a hard surface and then incurring further stress on the device.

More info here:

Multi-Touch Repair Program for iPhone 6 Plus

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2017 11:02 AM in response to monikak

Hello,

You are not talking to Apple here. This is a user based forms.

Taken from Apple's website:

Apple has determined that some iPhone 6 Plus devices may exhibit display flickering or Multi-Touch issues after being dropped multiple times on a hard surface and then incurring further stress on the device.

More info here:

Multi-Touch Repair Program for iPhone 6 Plus

Mar 22, 2017 6:45 AM in response to Gus

Thanks for taking the time to reply. But I have not dropped my iPhone. Not once. No stress to the device either.

I have 6 other apple devices that I have never had any issues with, some are old like an original iTouch... So I hardly think that it's due to anything that I may have done to the device, at least nothing that I can think of. Unless it banged against something in my purse as I was walking. And let me also stress that I have always had it in a plastic protection case. Anyway, upon further web searching I came across this article on CNN [http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/18/technology/apple-repair-touch-disease-problem/], so this leads me to believe that the issue is even more widespread than I originally thought.

Mar 27, 2017 6:43 PM in response to bmouthboyo

Yes, 90 day warranty only is what I was told at the Apple store.

I was told that the replacement iPhone is technically not a refurbished phone. There are apparently 3 categories of phones, new in-box, refurbished and “new from factory but may contain components from other phones”. The replacement phone they offer is the 3rd category.

The other option is to pay for the replacement iPhone using a credit card that could possibly extend the warranty... Also, if you purchased your current iPhone with a credit card, see if the credit card has an extended warranty policy, and your iPhone could still be under that warranty.

Hope this helps.

Oct 30, 2017 5:07 AM in response to Gus

I think this is a problem. Very widespread. My iphone lived in a impactology case its entire life and i had this issue. The apple genious who opened my iphone said it looked perfect inside, “like it had never been used.” No water damage or signs of physical stress. He said there was no reason for the device to be acting the way it was, based on all the diagonstics he ran and how well the phone was taken care of.

To have a problem like this pop up so often that apple has to dedicate an entire www page on how to get a replacement, for a fee, shows this is not a trivial issue or based on users abusing their devices.

Its a shame that when a devices was either assembled incorrectly or a chip has a flaw which impacts the usabilty of said device, apple seems to blame its customers. This reaks of “your holding it wrong” mentality. Shame.

Feb 1, 2018 5:14 AM in response to monikak

Hi,

Same problem here. On my 3rd iPhone 6 Plus and all had developed the same problem.

I am very careful with my phone so I don't believe it should be considered a user neglect problem. The hardware design is the problem. My son is still using my old iPhone 4, and it is going strong.

The iPhone 6 Plus unfortunately has a design issue and Apple do not want to admit it. Poor form from such a great company.

iPhone 6 Plus Screen Unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.