Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad intermittent charging when connected to macbook air.

I have an iPad mini with retina display and a macbook air (2014), for a while now whenever I connect my iPad to my mac, the charging icon keeps flickering between charging and not charging. My computer, just as well, keeps recognizing and unrecognizing the device. I tried updating both my devices and I even tried restoring my iPad, but nothing seems to work.

I am using an original apple cable (I've tried with two original already)

When connected to the wall power outlet it does work as usually.

My iPhone works correctly when connected to my mac's usb ports, I've checked both of them with different devices and they work just fine.

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 10.2.1, null

Posted on Mar 15, 2017 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 8:50 AM

I went into the Apple Store to get my iPad looked at - suffering the same intermittent charging pattern as you describe - well... is was the cable! I had two different cables, in two different parts of the house and the iPad liked neither of them. When I took my iPad and cable to the Apple Store, we plugged it into the tech's own iPad Air... it suffered intermittent problems just like at home. Then, we tried a new cable, and it was fine! I've bought two new cables to replace the ones at home, and the problem has gone away. iPad now happily charging from my iMac right now.

So lesson learnt - even if an old cable (or relatively new one...) looks good on the outside, the inner wires may be in bad shape from use. Try replacing the cable - it might work for you.

And of interest... iBook Air USB will charge an iPad. We did it at the Apple store last night (and the iBook wasn't plugged in either). Other posters saying the iBook Air doesn't have the capability to charge an iPad are in error.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 8:50 AM in response to santisda

I went into the Apple Store to get my iPad looked at - suffering the same intermittent charging pattern as you describe - well... is was the cable! I had two different cables, in two different parts of the house and the iPad liked neither of them. When I took my iPad and cable to the Apple Store, we plugged it into the tech's own iPad Air... it suffered intermittent problems just like at home. Then, we tried a new cable, and it was fine! I've bought two new cables to replace the ones at home, and the problem has gone away. iPad now happily charging from my iMac right now.

So lesson learnt - even if an old cable (or relatively new one...) looks good on the outside, the inner wires may be in bad shape from use. Try replacing the cable - it might work for you.

And of interest... iBook Air USB will charge an iPad. We did it at the Apple store last night (and the iBook wasn't plugged in either). Other posters saying the iBook Air doesn't have the capability to charge an iPad are in error.

Nov 11, 2017 8:57 AM in response to Briansyddall

Hi Brian, I don’t believe that is a sufficient answer. I have the same issue when trying to charge my ipad on my iMac with an OEM cable to the USB port(s). This iPad used to charge just fine but now is intermittent and cycles from charge to no charge rapidly when plugged into the iMac. iTunes goes nuts trying to keep up. The same iPad no longer charges on my iHome clock radio device either when it used to fine, and that same iPad also charged when hooked up via cable to my MacBook Air (as long as the Air was also plugged into a wall outlet). The only way to charge this ipad is now to plug it into a wall outlet - then it charges up fine. However, because of the rapid cycling when charging, updates are no longer possible. I have a Genius Bar session on Tuesday - I will update this post depending on what the Apple team find. Very strange that an iPad method of charging changes over time when it used to be fine with wall outlets or USB to computer connection, but now only wall outlets work! Thanks, James

Nov 14, 2017 10:46 AM in response to taigh-arch

Considering there's no such product as an "iBook Air", you don't really have room to talk about who's in error. Additionally, our point was that for the larger battery of the iPads, the USB ports on Mac laptops are not designed with the purpose in mind of charging iPads. Just compare the current output of standard USB to the output of the charger that ships with the iPads. Nuff said.

iPad intermittent charging when connected to macbook air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.