Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple users and unlocking with watch.

I am unable to unlock my mac with my watch when multiple users are signed in. If I'm already signed in and my profile is the only one being displayed, it works. If I switch profiles, it just asks for the password and will not unlock with the watch. Is there something you have to press?

iMac, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 15, 2017 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:36 AM

I have the same problem. Very annoying. I am the only one on this Mac with an Apple watch (so no multiple watches), but when another user is logged into the Mac, unlocking my own account with the watch no longer works. After a few seconds of nothing (it appears it doesn't even try to unlock, normally it sais: unlocking with Apple Watch), it goes to the password inout field.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2017 9:36 AM in response to chcampbell0345

I have the same problem. Very annoying. I am the only one on this Mac with an Apple watch (so no multiple watches), but when another user is logged into the Mac, unlocking my own account with the watch no longer works. After a few seconds of nothing (it appears it doesn't even try to unlock, normally it sais: unlocking with Apple Watch), it goes to the password inout field.

Jan 28, 2018 8:09 PM in response to chcampbell0345

I can confirm that this is a known issue. When I purchased the newest and highest end iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch 2018) I immediately opened a ApplyCare Ticket. This problem was not just limited to the Apple Watch auto-unlock, but also continuity hand-off as well. The second I would log in with a second user on the computer all continuity and auto-unlock stops working. To be clear my wife does not have an Apple Watch and only I, so limited to 1 watch on the computer. It's really too bad that apple toutes a feature that falls short on their commitment. Dropping $5,000+ for a premium computer to benefit from these advertised features is a disappointment.

May 18, 2017 8:56 AM in response to chcampbell0345

I think this is the same problem I have, but just to clarify. With multiple users logged in, it's not just that it won't auto unlock when I switch to my account but once I'm on my account it won't unlock then either even if I don't switch to another user - simply having more than one user logged in prevents auto unlock with the watch.

I have this same problem on my iMac and MacBook Pro - both of which successfully auto unlock if I'm the only user logged in.

This is the case even after this week's MacOS and iOS and WatchOS updates.

Oct 13, 2017 4:00 AM in response to chcampbell0345

This is a problem I have but I have noticed a potential connection issue with iCloud which I think might be causing the problem. Here is my description:

I have a frustrating problem with unlocking my Macs with Apple Watches. If I restart and log in to my computer then lock it my Apple Watch unlocks it reliably and consistently every time I try. As soon as I log another user into the computer Apple Watch unlock no longer works either for the new user or the original logged in user, even if one of them is logged out again. The only thing that gets the unlock working again is a re-start and sometimes that does not work for some time after the restart.

One other thing I have noticed is that when the watch unlock is working I am able to see my iPhone's personal hotspot in the list of available WiFi but when the watch unlock breaks (ie when I log in another user) the hotspot disappears. I suspect the whole issue may be related to the machine using it's connection to iCloud perhaps?

This behaviour is the same on an iMac and a Macbook Air both updated to the current operating system release and one of which has a completely fresh install of highSierra. Both phones (6s / 7) and watches (2 original sports and 1 original stainless) are running the latest releases of their respective operating systems but it is worth noting that this behaviour has always been present in previous versions and I was hoping the latest releases would fix it.

Dec 30, 2017 1:55 PM in response to chcampbell0345

I have the same problem. Everything worked up to the update (watchOS 3.2/macOS 10.12.4). Yes, I got it solved with restarting the devices. First if I log in with my account it worked. But if I switch to the account of my wife (she has no apple watch), then switch back to my account and lock the display, the unlocking with my apple watch breaks again. It is interesting that also handoff breaks by the user switching. I had an intensive communication with the support of Apple in July and August. On my last mail in October I never got feedback!

Mar 2, 2018 10:09 AM in response to 2 Time Olympian

Same. I have the watch, but my husband does not. Bluetooth seems to have no trouble staying in touch with my watch/phone as long as mine is the only account logged in. I want to have a proper password with a short time-out in order to maximize my security, but convenience will out.

Even a "this is a developing feature, so your mileage may vary" disclaimer would significantly mitigate my disappointment.

Mar 27, 2018 11:45 PM in response to superdogjdog

Dear all,

I can confirm I have the same problem on High Sierra 10.13.3 (iMac 2017).

After a reboot, I can unlock with my Apple Watch and the handoff feature works fine. Once another user logs into the same machine (the user does not have an Apple Watch yet), I cannot unlock any longer via my Apple Watch and the handoff feature is not working either.

As many of us have the same issue - do you know where we have to officially report this bug?

Oliver

Multiple users and unlocking with watch.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.