You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allow Calls on Other Devices not working

"Allow Calls on Other Devices" will not turn on. I have signed out and back into the same iCloud account on all my devices but I cannot toggle that "Allow Calls on Other Devices" switch in Phone settings. In FaceTime settings on my phone, the number is greyed out and the loading circle keeps spinning. At my wit's end. Latest updates, et cetera.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2017 8:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 12:54 PM

Go to settings>FaceTime on your device & choose "Use Apple ID for FaceTime" it will ask you if you want to sign into your Apple ID & that should allow you to use any other device using your Apple ID to allow calls.

12 replies

Mar 16, 2017 8:34 AM in response to richiesauls

Yes, it isn't about signing into and out of icloud. It's about using the same APPLE ID (nothing to do with icloud) entered into FACETIME as the APPLE ID for FACETIME...and for iMESSAGES...The Apple ID must match in 2 places on each device: Facetime...and Messages...The system settings/preferences iCloud panel it not connected to this. Just like neither of these are connected to the APP STORE. That could be ANOTHER Apple ID if you like, for purchases...

Facetime and Messages are not part of iCloud. :-) Also, I would sign out and put the APPLE IDS into FACETIME, THEN if you can (you may not need to), sign out of Messages and sign back in with the same APPLE ID.

Also, check that handoff is on...(This IS the same iCloud APPLE ID required, I think)...and that WIFI CALLING IS ENABLED ON ALL DEVICES...AND THAT WIFI and CELLULAR are turned on for data on all..and WIFI assist is on...Careful if data use is an issue.

Frankly, you may find this is all more trouble than it's worth. I have it on, but it's basically annoying as heck. Cumbersome, loud, kinda confusing...But, let us know if you enjoy it

Mar 16, 2017 8:49 AM in response to sfjasonb

sfjasonb wrote:

Yes, it isn't about signing into and out of icloud. It's about using the same APPLE ID (nothing to do with icloud) entered into FACETIME as the APPLE ID for FACETIME...and for iMESSAGES...The Apple ID must match in 2 places on each device: Facetime...and Messages...The system settings/preferences iCloud panel it not connected to this. Just like neither of these are connected to the APP STORE. That could be ANOTHER Apple ID if you like, for purchases...

I copied this from the support article. Sure looks like it is dependent on being signed into iCloud to me.

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up iPhone Cellular Calls

Use iPhone Cellular Calls with any Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that meets the Continuity system requirements. It works when your devices are near each other and set up as follows:

• Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
  • Each device is signed in to FaceTime with the same Apple ID.
  • Each device has Wi-Fi turned on.
  • Each device is connected to the same network using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
  • On iPhone, go to Settings > Phone > Calls on Other Devices, then turn on Allow Calls on Other Devices.
  • On iPad or iPod touch, go to Settings > FaceTime, then turn on Calls from iPhone.
  • On Mac, open the FaceTime app, then choose FaceTime > Preferences. Click Settings, then select Calls From iPhone.

One thing that I personally agree with is that I found receiving calls on other devices to be annoying. It seemed cool at first, but after using it for a couple of days at home and at work, I decided that I didn't like it. Too many people could hear my conversations, just like Bluetooth calling in a car. Both are fine if you are by yourself, but not so much when others are around.

I want to be clear to anyone else that reads my response, it is merely my opinion, that's all.

Mar 16, 2017 10:09 AM in response to Demo

Thank you, I did go through all these steps prior to posting this message. Subsequently, "Allow" has turned on eventually (somehow) but FaceTime still has the loading circle and the number greyed out and I still cannot make a call from my Mac. I find this feature useful, it used to work with my previous iPhone. The 7 Plus is not so accommodating.

Mar 16, 2017 10:22 AM in response to richiesauls

Unless the number is FaceTIme becomes active, you will not be able to use the calls on other devices feature. That is where the problem lies, at least I believe that's where it lies.

BTW, I was not making any judgment about the feature not being useful or about anybody who likes to use the feature. It's great if it works for you. I just found it to be something I didn't really need and didn't like the lack of privacy when I was using it.

I would try toggling WiFi off and on to see if you can get that number to activate/work again. Power cycle your router, turn WiFi off on the phone, restart the phone, turn WiFi on again. I would also try a forced restart of the phone and see if that helps to kick start the activation again.

To force restart on an iPhone 7 or 7+, Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Allow Calls on Other Devices not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.