Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro showing horizontal static line when booting

I have a late 2010 Mac Pro (Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), Model 5,1 A1289 2010 8 Core Xeon 2x) that is showing an artifact every time it boots:

User uploaded file

The boot starts fine, that happens, screen goes black, then it recover and boots normally. Just bought used, so not a lot of working experience, but so far this is only evidence of problem. But I worry it's a sign of a dying graphics card. It's exactly same as this MBP: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7783901?start=0&tstart=0 which makes me wonder if it's the same kind of "Radeongate" graphics problem that plagued the MBPs from around this time.

An Apple Hardware Test showed no problems, but I gather they don't always test graphics cards well. Is my graphics card dying? If so, which one -- the one in the logic board or the other?

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), 5,1 2010

Posted on Mar 16, 2017 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2017 2:42 PM

Don't get me wrong but I'd think this is normal. Of course it isn't but throughout the course of beta testing things like this happen. If it works over time then its normal. If it eventually leads to problems then it is not.

1 reply

Mac Pro showing horizontal static line when booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.