Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

there is not enough extra media beyond clip edges to create the transition.

Is there a fix yet for why some transitions refuse to be added to the timeline and pop up with this message:

I have been editing with FCP for over 5 years so yes, my clips are definitely long enough, my transition length is 0.5 secs etc etc.

Bizarrely enough this only happens with SOME Apple transitions (for example today it's happening the with the most basic of all: Cross Dissolve) Whilst others work perfectly with the same two clips.

In this example screen shot, here are two clips with the transitions working and not working respectively, on the same clips. I believe this must be a bug, as it asks me if I'm cool with the app decreasing the length, and it still doesn't actually do anything. From what I've seen online, this bug has been around for a few years and Apple have not yet addressed it. Are there any work arounds by any chance?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 16, 2017 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2017 1:22 AM

Search this forum for "Media handles" for more info.

This means there is spare media on one or both sides of a clip.

Or put another way, in/out points are not at the extreme start or end of a clip when it is entered into the Timeline from the Browser.

One way to tell is move the curser in the Timeline to the start or end of a clip,

The colours mean something:

User uploaded file

The above means, no Media Handles available at the end of this clip

User uploaded file

This one means there is some Media Handles available and can be dragged left to lengthen the clip, when it turns RED then it's at the extreme start. Meaning FCP X cannot create a transition unless you tell it to CREATE one. Hitting the create button will shorten the Timeline. That is not really a problem unless frame accuracy is paramount.

Here is the same clip in the Browser with Used Media Ranges switched on:

User uploaded file

Note that the Orange Used Media Range line indicates some not used media at the start and no room at the end.

Both the above examples should help you identify which clips have media handles.

There are other ways if you want to SEARCH.

Al

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2017 1:22 AM in response to realitydreamship

Search this forum for "Media handles" for more info.

This means there is spare media on one or both sides of a clip.

Or put another way, in/out points are not at the extreme start or end of a clip when it is entered into the Timeline from the Browser.

One way to tell is move the curser in the Timeline to the start or end of a clip,

The colours mean something:

User uploaded file

The above means, no Media Handles available at the end of this clip

User uploaded file

This one means there is some Media Handles available and can be dragged left to lengthen the clip, when it turns RED then it's at the extreme start. Meaning FCP X cannot create a transition unless you tell it to CREATE one. Hitting the create button will shorten the Timeline. That is not really a problem unless frame accuracy is paramount.

Here is the same clip in the Browser with Used Media Ranges switched on:

User uploaded file

Note that the Orange Used Media Range line indicates some not used media at the start and no room at the end.

Both the above examples should help you identify which clips have media handles.

There are other ways if you want to SEARCH.

Al

Mar 17, 2017 4:36 PM in response to realitydreamship

what frequently went wrong in my projects:

I add an 'halt' at the - what I believe - very last frame of a clip.

But often, it is the last-before-one.

So, a tiny single frame cuddles btw. two clip… when you drag a transition onto the end of the big one, that error message comes up.

Or, another left-over from a gap.clip plays hide'n seek.

The Index is then very helpful, on first sight into the timeline, I see two clips, the Index tells me wrong:

User uploaded file

So, although you're an experience editor, I'd like to recommend, check for 'stray singles' btw. clips.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.