Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CAN I DELETE THE iMOVIE LIBRARY FILE?

I recently started using iMovie and when I delete Projects all the files are still saved in the iMovie Library. I just checked and the iMovie Library is taking up 30 GB of space already. I've only made 3-4 movies and I'm concerned this is going to fill up my hard disk over time. I only want to keep the final movie I created (which I've already moved to a new folder) but I don't want to keep all the raw video footage I've captured. Seems like all this raw video is being saved in the iMovie Library after I delete the project.

Is it OK for me to delete the iMovie Library file? If yes, will the next project I start create a new iMovie Library automatically? Just don't want to screw up the iMovie application by deleting the iMovie Library!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 10.1

Posted on Mar 17, 2017 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2017 10:51 AM

Hi,

Assuming that you are using iMovie 10.x.x ( you don't need to delete the iMovie Library folder.

When you delete a project the media in it doesn't get deleted. Rather, the media gets sent to a new event with the same name as the project. In the media browser screen sidebar, you can find the event by clicking on the All Events item. In the All Events folder select the event with your project name on it and delete it (File/Delete Media from Event). That will remove the media from your iMovie library and free up space.

If you do delete your iMovie library that will delete all projects and media in it. You would lose those unless you have a back-up library. If you delete the library, I suggest that you first create a new blank library so that you will have a completely intact iMovie app before you delete the old library. Or, you could store your current library on an external drive formulated for Apple (Max OS extended, journaled).

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2017 10:51 AM in response to gkbanks

Hi,

Assuming that you are using iMovie 10.x.x ( you don't need to delete the iMovie Library folder.

When you delete a project the media in it doesn't get deleted. Rather, the media gets sent to a new event with the same name as the project. In the media browser screen sidebar, you can find the event by clicking on the All Events item. In the All Events folder select the event with your project name on it and delete it (File/Delete Media from Event). That will remove the media from your iMovie library and free up space.

If you do delete your iMovie library that will delete all projects and media in it. You would lose those unless you have a back-up library. If you delete the library, I suggest that you first create a new blank library so that you will have a completely intact iMovie app before you delete the old library. Or, you could store your current library on an external drive formulated for Apple (Max OS extended, journaled).

-- Rich

CAN I DELETE THE iMOVIE LIBRARY FILE?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.