Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert apple lossless to lower sample rate

I have a bunch of songs that I got as Apple lossless 96kHz sample rate. I want to leave these as ALAC but allow them to sync to an iPhone. They will not sync at 96kHz, and since I have other Apple lossless songs at 48kHz that do sync, I am 99% sure the sample rate is the reason.

So, I want to convert these to 48kHz sample rate while keeping them as ALAC. Unfortunately, the only option I have in the iTunes>prefs>import settings is "Import using: Apple lossless" at "Setting: Automatic". If I convert at this setting, it changes nothing. How can I set the sample rate when converting?

Posted on Mar 17, 2017 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2017 11:25 PM

charlesl80 wrote:

I have a bunch of songs that I got as Apple lossless 96kHz sample rate. I want to leave these as ALAC but allow them to sync to an iPhone. They will not sync at 96kHz, and since I have other Apple lossless songs at 48kHz that do sync, I am 99% sure the sample rate is the reason.

So, I want to convert these to 48kHz sample rate while keeping them as ALAC. Unfortunately, the only option I have in the iTunes>prefs>import settings is "Import using: Apple lossless" at "Setting: Automatic". If I convert at this setting, it changes nothing. How can I set the sample rate when converting?

Charles,

That is correct. You have discovered a longstanding shortcoming of iTunes support of ALAC. The only choice is "Automatic."

But you have two choices:

1. If you want a lower sample rate version in your library, convert the hi-rez file to AIFF (or WAV), using the "Custom" setting to choose your new sample rate, e.g., 44.1 kHz. Optionally you can then convert the AIFF to ALAC; the two lossless conversions will (supposedly) not damage the audio quality. As you are probably aware, this procedure results in two copies in your library, so make sure you use the more compact one for syncing to the phone.
  2. If it is only for the phone, avail yourself of the shrink-n-sync capability (see setting below). This will put more compact AAC versions on the phone while leaving the library copies untouched.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2017 11:25 PM in response to charlesl80

charlesl80 wrote:

Charles,

That is correct. You have discovered a longstanding shortcoming of iTunes support of ALAC. The only choice is "Automatic."

But you have two choices:

1. If you want a lower sample rate version in your library, convert the hi-rez file to AIFF (or WAV), using the "Custom" setting to choose your new sample rate, e.g., 44.1 kHz. Optionally you can then convert the AIFF to ALAC; the two lossless conversions will (supposedly) not damage the audio quality. As you are probably aware, this procedure results in two copies in your library, so make sure you use the more compact one for syncing to the phone.
  2. If it is only for the phone, avail yourself of the shrink-n-sync capability (see setting below). This will put more compact AAC versions on the phone while leaving the library copies untouched.

User uploaded file

Convert apple lossless to lower sample rate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.