Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search in finder fails to find items in my documents

Since updating to Sierra (10.12.3), searching for documents in Finder that contain words fails to find any of these items. Used to be able to find anything in the document. Now, my search capability is useless.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), NA

Posted on Mar 18, 2017 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 1:28 AM

This has just started happening to me too! Very frustrating ... for decades Finder has been my go-to to search the contents of files ... and I could do it a week ago but now I can't! Even using the criteria bars discussed in other responses. Windows Explorer used to only search on filenames, but now searches on contents (I use it at work), so would why would Apple muck with this long-standing function?

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2017 1:28 AM in response to MacProMan27

This has just started happening to me too! Very frustrating ... for decades Finder has been my go-to to search the contents of files ... and I could do it a week ago but now I can't! Even using the criteria bars discussed in other responses. Windows Explorer used to only search on filenames, but now searches on contents (I use it at work), so would why would Apple muck with this long-standing function?

Mar 18, 2017 10:36 AM in response to MacProMan27

Hi - a couple of things that may help. If you are searching from a Finder window, go to the Finder-Preferences and click on the Advanced tab. At the bottom, make sure the "When performing a search:" field says Search this Mac as opposed to just the current folder.

You also may want to check some of the troubleshooting in this article: macOS Sierra: If searching your Mac doesn’t return expected results

Hope that helps.

Mar 19, 2017 5:37 AM in response to MacProMan27

Assumption: You have System Preferences : Spotlight : Search Results boxes checked for (minimally):

• Documents
  • PDF Documents
  • Folders
  • Others

and that your boot drive is properly Spotlight indexing.

If you search for Spotlight in the Finder Help menu, you will get these results. Especially pay attention to the Narrow your searches in Spotlight menu entry.

User uploaded file

Mar 19, 2017 5:12 AM in response to dot.com

dot.com wrote:

Are you talking about Spotlight searches? They don't search internal contents of a file - only the meta information like name, date, etc. The database requirements for what you're talking about would be huge, so impractical.

That is completely false. Spotlight indexes and searches the contents of everything, as you can see here:

User uploaded file

Mar 19, 2017 5:16 AM in response to MacProMan27

If you are having problems with Spotlight finding things, try re-indexing your hard drive:

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

There are also a couple of links on that page to troubleshoot.

Location of documents. Some places are considered "System Locations" and Spotlight doesn't search them (but it does index them). You can search those places with a Finder search adding "system files are included" in the criteria.

Mar 20, 2017 1:48 PM in response to dot.com

In Spotlight, the following will find the specified types of documents, though it isn't peeking inside for any search terms. I have all of my Spotlight Results categories checked.

• MS Publisher documents
    • kMDItemContentType:mspub
    • kind:document +.pub
  • WordPerfect documents
    • kMDItemContentType:wpd
    • kind:document +.wpd
  • Visio Documents
    • kMDItemContentType:visio
    • kind:document +.vsd
  • LaTeX Documents
    • kMDItemContentType:latex
    • kind:code +.tex

Basically, you look for the file identifier that best describes the document in the kMDItemContentType string returned by mdls.

Mar 18, 2017 10:46 AM in response to MacProMan27

Are you talking about Spotlight searches? They don't search internal contents of a file - only the meta information like name, date, etc. The database requirements for what you're talking about would be huge, so impractical. If you did have some sort of utility to search contents of files, it would be very slow for large numbers of files.

Can you give an example of what you mean by searching?

Good luck...

Mar 19, 2017 9:28 AM in response to Barney-15E

I guess it depends on how you define "search" and "everything".

According to what I've read Spotlight can only search content of files that have predefined plugins that define the contents of a "kind" of file. So if you want to search for something that does not have a "plugin" then you're out of luck. Many kinds of files have these plugins, like your Pages example, and some don't.

So claiming Spotlight can search the contents of all files is not accurate or true.

For a very simple example try adding your username (barney-15e) to an XML plist file (a simple ASCII text file) - Spotlight won't find it no matter how many times you rebuild the index. If you still want to claim that it can search everything then I guess that you can call that a fact if you wish - an "alternative fact" is more like it. If you want to say it can search the content of "some" files, then that is a real fact. But don't advertise it with an ability it doesn't have or will ever have - the overhead would simply be too large.

Search in finder fails to find items in my documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.