Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari clears all tabs when closed.

Every time I open up safari on my iPhone it is always a fresh tab and nothing else. I can be on a website and then fully close the app by double clicking. Now when I go back it only has a new tab and nothing else. It shows I was there in my history but the tab closed itself.

Previously it would have all of my open tabs there and just be on the most recently used one. My iPad is still that way however my iPhone is not.

Did a setting get changed or is this an issue?

Posted on Mar 18, 2017 9:50 PM

15 replies

Mar 19, 2017 4:21 PM in response to Jordan529

You stated in your original post "fully close the app by double clicking". After you double click are you also swiping the open Safari window up and off the screen?

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Have you checked to see if you are in Private Browsing mode?

Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Are you using iCloud Tabs?

Set up and use iCloud Tabs - Apple Support

When you open Safari now is it showing something like this?

User uploaded file

Aug 18, 2017 5:37 AM in response to Jordan529

I've had this problem too and I've solved it yesterday. It has to do with having too much stored website data (not cache or cookies or history).

Go to Settings -> Safari -> Advanced (at the bottom) -> Website Data.

Here, there was over 32MB of data on my phone, one site even storing 17MB of data on the mobile browser. I've deleted all of it using the function at the bottom. Et voila, problem disappeared, my tabs now always stay saved in Safari. I had to log in again on some web sites but that's a small price to pay. I haven't run into any other issues yet so I can highly recommend this. Hope it also works for you!

Mar 21, 2017 9:12 PM in response to Jordan529

With no changes to settings and all of the above information I would honestly have to suggest that you contact Apple Support directly as it may be a new issue. Contact - Official Apple Support

You can also provide feedback regarding this here. http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I hope they are able to get this resolved for you and I apologize for my own lack of resolution. If you do come to a resolution please share in this post as it will most definitely help others. 🙂

Mar 20, 2017 7:29 AM in response to andreafromlutz

Yes I do swipe up.

No I am not in Private browsing mode (although i have tried and it doesn't remember tabs in private browsing either.)

No I am not using iCloud tabs.

Yes that is what my screen looks like every time I open it after force closing the app

Again if I do everything the same on my iPad is still remembers all of my tabs, but not my iPhone.

Mar 20, 2017 3:48 PM in response to Jordan529

This has been happening to me as well, starting the evening of March 19. Every time I close safari, it clears all of my open tabs, and the "recently closed tabs" are completely empty. I am also on the most recent version of iOS. This has never happened before but has happened consistently for the past 24 hours. Extremely frustrating.

Mar 21, 2017 9:37 PM in response to Jordan529

Sadly, I am experiencing the exact scenario as you, all of which happened just before I updated the newest iOS and after updating! It's so frustrating when the tabs where always there for me to refer and now they just go blank. Even though it can be found in History, I've to go through a list...

Sure hope Apple can get this resolved asap! Good luck to us.

Safari clears all tabs when closed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.