Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone says my storage is full, but it's not...

My iPhone 6 is telling me that my storage is full. But when I add up all my apps, I should have at least 4GB of free space. This happened with my last phone too, so it doesn't look like a hardware issue. I took it to the Apple store and they had me do a hard reset, but that only freed up a little space and it quickly became full again. Any suggestions?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Mar 19, 2017 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2017 10:26 PM

I had this same problem - iTunes showed about 34GB of used storage space as "other". I deleted my Facebook app from my iPhone and reinstalled it. This cleared up all 34GB.

8 replies

Mar 20, 2017 11:16 AM in response to Dthurber11081

Hello,

Use iTunes to check the storage on your iOS device

1. Open iTunes on your computer.
  2. Connect your device to your computer.
  3. In iTunes, select your device. You'll see a bar that shows how much storage your iOS content uses, divided by content type.
  4. Move your mouse over a content type, like Other or Apps, to find more information:
    User uploaded file

More info here:

Check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 19, 2017 2:36 PM in response to Dthurber11081

Dthurber11081,

Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage under STORAGE go to Manage Storage. It will then show the apps that are using your storage listed in order of usage.

Then focus on the apps with the most storage and delete data as appropriate. Large videos and podcasts that take up a lot of storage, can often times be deleted because you can usually download them again if you want view them.

Note: deleted photos are not necessarily deleted from the phone. You may have to go to Photos > Albums > Recently Deleted and delete them from there to truly free up storage.

Let us know how it turns out.

Oct 29, 2017 2:36 AM in response to Gus

Hi, yeah I know how to check my storage on the phone itself and through itunes, problem is they show different informaiton. They don't add up, according to itunes I should have over 5GB free and according to my (iPhone 5C) itself there is close to 0KB avaliable. This is becomign a huge problem because it's affecting the function of the phone occasionally too but clearing space does nothing?

iPhone says my storage is full, but it's not...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.