Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage and FaceTime activation error

I bought my mom an iPad; she has no iPhone. I want to set up iMessage and FaceTime for her. I created a gmail account and use it for AppleID, but it doesn't work for iMessage or FaceTime. Whenever I sign in for iMessage or FaceTime, I get the following error: iMessage Activation: An error occurred during activation. Try again. The only thing I can think of is that her Apple ID is not associated with any form of phone number/iPhone. I read you can have an individual account for FaceTime/iMessage without phone number - right?

I tried the following:

• another email address
  • waited 48+ hours
  • ensured password is correct
  • connected to wifi
  • date/time correct

Ideas? Thanks!@

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 19, 2017 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2017 6:36 PM

According to the doc, it might take more than 24 hours

See here:

Still not activated after a day?

It might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If the issue continues after 24 hours, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS.
  2. If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can receive SMS messages.
  3. Contact Apple Support.
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2017 6:36 PM in response to GENEW_003

According to the doc, it might take more than 24 hours

See here:

Still not activated after a day?

It might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If the issue continues after 24 hours, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS.
  2. If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can receive SMS messages.
  3. Contact Apple Support.

Mar 19, 2017 8:53 PM in response to Gene Whitaker

I am having similar issues with my iPad. Facetime used to work before. Suddenly one day recently it stopped working.

I tried lot of things suggested in the forum including hard reboot, logging in with another id, checked WiFi, etc, etc. Now I have erased all the content and set it up as a new iPad. But still getting "Unable to contact facetime server".

Only thing I have not done is to wait 24 hours after setting it up as a new iPad. But I doubt waiting 24 hours will resolve it. Something seriously wrong with Apple software now a days. :-(

May 29, 2017 4:45 PM in response to Gene Whitaker

Hi Gene!

I hope this helps:

FaceTime & iMessage use two independent activation methods:

1.- By sending an SMS via the SIM's cellular network operator: This is done in order to verify the cell phone number.

2.- By entering your Apple ID.

By default (at least on iPhone, not sure if same on iPads) the iOS uses method #1 and if the SIM doesn't provide SMS service (e.g., a Data-only SIM or a WiFi-only iPad like yours) then you'll get a "Verification / Activation error"... The solution would be to use method #2, as follows:

Settings > FaceTime > Turn on the switch if it isn't already > Below the switch you see an option to use your Apple ID, use it.

Do the same for iMessage under Settings > iMessage.

If your Apple ID is valid/working then both FaceTime & iMessage should work now.

Since the activation was done via an Apple ID then other iPhone/iPad users will be able to contact you via FaceTime & iMessage ONLY if they have your Apple ID's email address registered on their Contacts, if they only have your cell phone number they won't be able to use neither FaceTime nor iMessage; if the SMS would have been sent when the iOS was trying to verify it as explained above: Then they would have been able to contact you with your cell phone number regisyered on their Contacts.

Best!

iMessage and FaceTime activation error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.