Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to repair Windows Partition.... The command window prompts from the other discussion did not work

The other discussion suggested these lines be put into terminal:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0

p

setpid 4

flag 4

p

write

y

When I attempted to put these lines in, terminal did not recognize 'w' or 'write'

User uploaded file

Other discussion: Re: Repairing Boot Camp after creating new partition

Please help! Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Mar 19, 2017 8:21 PM

11 replies

Mar 21, 2017 12:18 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for responding so quickly!

So I made a Windows 7 partition on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) a few months ago in order to download several CADing softwares including SolidWorks and Siemens NX. Recently, I decided I wanted to expand the partition from 75 gigabytes to 200. I was preparing to use the MiniTool Partition Wizard by creating a new unallocated partition on my computer using the Disk Utility App. After the new free space was created, the Windows partition stopped operating; however, the Start Up Disk App and the Disk Utility app still recognize its existence. I linked the last solution because I figured it was a fairly similar issue, but I guess not. Thanks again!!

Mar 21, 2017 12:38 PM in response to b sack

From OS X Terminal, please post the output of

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Enter your password when prompted. Please do not modify partitioning any further, otherwise you may lose data or Windows.

The output of these two will determine the next steps.

Warning: MPT is the worst tool to use on a Mac.

Mar 21, 2017 6:33 PM in response to b sack

The general steps are,

1. Convert disk0s4 to Free Space. Warning: This is a one-way, one-time operation, and irreversible.

2. Boot from GParted Live CD (or USB) and absorb this Free Space into NTFS partition.

3. Correct/re-create the MBR to match the GPT using GPT Fdisk. At this point your configuration is now a 'standard' Mac Hybrid MBR partition.

4. Run chkdsk, Startup Repair, Bootrec.exe to correct the Windows boot issues, as necessary.

5. Test.

Trying to repair Windows Partition.... The command window prompts from the other discussion did not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.