Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I delete Safari? +Duplicate clock and calculator

I never use it. Why can't I delete it? I was able to remove everything else that I didn't want thanks to the OS update what are the technical reasons for why Safari is not deletable? Will the phone not function with Safari deleted?

Also on that note, the calculator and clock app are present when I scroll up from the bottom, but they are also found as stand alone apps. Is it possible to delete the stand alone apps but still keep them integrated in the up scroll (i.e. they are next to the flashlight and camera app).

If its not possible, may I suggest the next OS update include the ability to remove Safari, and to remove the clock and calculator app from the list but still keep it in the up scroll (sorry not sure if it is the correct term, but it is in the location where the camera, flashlight, and night mode button are located).

Thank you for all your help.

Kind regards

iPhone 6, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 20, 2017 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2017 4:30 AM

I doubt that your iPhone will not work without Safari, but there's just no option to remove it. It's by Apple's design. The only thing you can do to not see it is disabling Safari in restrictions: go to Settings - General - Restrictions then enter your passcode and disable Safari.

BTW, the correct term for up scroll is a control center. There are only shortcuts in control center, so if you remove calculator or clock from the apps, it will also disappear from the control center. No app - no shortcut. It's not actually a duplication.

Here's also some info for you:

Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS device with iOS 10 - Apple Support

Use Control Center on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

And a feedback form: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2017 4:30 AM in response to PeceK88

I doubt that your iPhone will not work without Safari, but there's just no option to remove it. It's by Apple's design. The only thing you can do to not see it is disabling Safari in restrictions: go to Settings - General - Restrictions then enter your passcode and disable Safari.

BTW, the correct term for up scroll is a control center. There are only shortcuts in control center, so if you remove calculator or clock from the apps, it will also disappear from the control center. No app - no shortcut. It's not actually a duplication.

Here's also some info for you:

Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS device with iOS 10 - Apple Support

Use Control Center on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

And a feedback form: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Mar 20, 2017 4:32 AM in response to Ptaxey

Hey Ptaxey,

Thank you for the reply. I have been cleaning up my apps and have deleted a lot of non essential items, and was left with Safari and so why I was asking. Hopefully Apple will allow the full removal one day but your suggestion is very helpful for now! Thank you.

Ah and thank you for the correct name and the shortcut clarification.

Will be sending them feedback shortly!

Why can't I delete Safari? +Duplicate clock and calculator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.