Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music/iTunes: Exceeded 100,000 limit but have 86,000 tracks in my mediathek

My iTunes says I can't add more Apple-Music-tracks to my iCloud mediathek because I've reached the 100,000 tracks limit but I'm using about 86,000 tracks locally (my own music) and 13,500 tracks from Apple Music. I recently contacted the Apple support but they can't help me yet. At the Apple.com-Website I found this information:

Access your music collection on all of your devices with Apple Music - Apple Support

You can have up to 100,000 songs in your music library. Songs that you buy or bought from the iTunes Store or added to Library using your Apple Music membership don't count against this limit.

Anyone here who has the same troubles? I'm very disappointed about the lazy support from Apple!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 20, 2017 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2017 9:35 AM

Today Marco from german Support responded to me that AM tracks count against the 100,000 limit. But as I read here … these are songs in the cloud. Why should they count? Apple also talked to the engineers and they said they have to update the support document.

What's wrong with this company??? Apple Support can't find a solution for over 6 months and now they say 'our support document has an error'? In my opinion their engineers don't want to fix this issue because iTunes is such a messy software.

Why the **** should music in the cloud count the mediathek song limit??

By the way: my mediathek counts exactly 99.764 titles. But the limit is 100,000 right? So why can't I add the remaining 236 songs?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2017 9:35 AM in response to murray98

Today Marco from german Support responded to me that AM tracks count against the 100,000 limit. But as I read here … these are songs in the cloud. Why should they count? Apple also talked to the engineers and they said they have to update the support document.

What's wrong with this company??? Apple Support can't find a solution for over 6 months and now they say 'our support document has an error'? In my opinion their engineers don't want to fix this issue because iTunes is such a messy software.

Why the **** should music in the cloud count the mediathek song limit??

By the way: my mediathek counts exactly 99.764 titles. But the limit is 100,000 right? So why can't I add the remaining 236 songs?

May 10, 2017 10:23 AM in response to chief_resident

No, you're understanding it just right. I think the copywriting team assumed, as one would, that there wouldn't be a limit against cloud music because WHY!?! and just put that in. And no one thought, "Gee, in a few months, people might keep adding music and hit a limit." Your examples are fair. I spoke with them last week and they STILL haven't updated the support document below.

User uploaded file

Pulled from here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205919

Hard to read that second sentence and think anything other than this is a very sloppy company.

May 2, 2017 10:36 AM in response to chief_resident

Speaking to apple support about this exact same issue right now. Will post with final confirmation but Apple Support said they are hearing that Apple Music songs DO count against the limit!! And that they need to update that support document, which they "forgot" to do. Which seems INSANE to me - why would cloud-based songs count against the limit?? Anyway, will post more if I hear.

May 10, 2017 10:09 AM in response to murray98

Here again:

How much music can I download to my device? Apple Music allows unlimited downloading for members. So you can download as much music as your device’s storage allows.

Nope! I can't download unlimited music to my device because I can't add music to my library which is necessary to download music! Or do I misunderstand this part?

May 11, 2017 11:52 AM in response to chief_resident

chief_resident wrote:

Nope! I can't download unlimited music to my device because I can't add music to my library which is necessary to download music! Or do I misunderstand this part?

Possibly. I'm not an active Apple Music member, but IIRC you can add music to a playlist without adding it to your library. This may allow you to add more things that can be played with your devices without hitting the limit of tracks that can be added to your iCloud Music Library.

tt2

Apple Music/iTunes: Exceeded 100,000 limit but have 86,000 tracks in my mediathek

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.