Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to clean screen on new MacBook Pro with touch bar?

I know Apple officially says a "damp microfiber cloth" but that really doesn't work to remove dirt, fingerprints, etc. and it can leave the screen streaky.

On my old MacBook Pro (late 2013) Retina the only thing I found that worked well but didn't seem to mess up the screen were these Zeiss wet cloths. Although, my old MacBook did have the "stain damage" problem and required a screen replacement. I don't think the Zeiss cloths contributed to that but there is no way I can be sure.

I want to be extra careful not to mess up the screen on my brand new computer, but I can't stand dust, fingerprints and smudges on this glossy screen. (I know obviously "don't touch it!" but there is the inevitable idiot that you might be showing something to that will or just by accident when opening and closing the screen).

Thanks!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), 15" 512GB 16GB RAM Radeon Pro 455

Posted on Mar 20, 2017 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 6:33 AM

Use MacUnwired's advice if you want to risk damaging your computer. Alcohol is a solvent that can damage the coatings on displays. Compressed air can force debris deeper into your computer.

Plain water will work if you spend a little time at it. I had a cat with serious heath problems who tended to sneeze all over everything (disgusting, I know). Water, time and some careful rubbing got it all off.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2017 6:33 AM in response to brsm1990

Use MacUnwired's advice if you want to risk damaging your computer. Alcohol is a solvent that can damage the coatings on displays. Compressed air can force debris deeper into your computer.

Plain water will work if you spend a little time at it. I had a cat with serious heath problems who tended to sneeze all over everything (disgusting, I know). Water, time and some careful rubbing got it all off.

Mar 21, 2017 7:42 AM in response to brsm1990

brsm1990 wrote:

Is scrubbing it really better for the screen than using something that works with little effort and abrasion?

Scrubbing would be an awful idea. That's why I didn't suggest it. I said "careful rubbing". By careful, I mean gentle. I generally hold the damp cloth against a stubborn spot for a minute or so, the gently rub. Repeat as necessary.

Seriously, what is on your screen that won't come off with a damp cloth? If whatever it is is that hard to get off, I'd suggest making an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store and see if they can professionally clean it for you.

Mar 21, 2017 8:24 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

You are just parroting apple's advice which is awful advice. It's idiotic to think that "plain water" will do a good job of cleaning anything greasy like a finger print for example. It also tends to leave streaks or spots or water marks.

One would hope Apple's displays are not so incredibly fragile that they are destroyed by all known cleaning solutions. Something has to work.

Mar 21, 2017 8:38 AM in response to brsm1990

Because it is good advice. If you don't like the advice then do whatever you want to do, but don't complain later. How many times do you have to hear it? This is an Apple support community, we are not knowingly going to give you advice that may harm your computer. The advice about using another product has already been removed from this thread. I assume it was removed for a reason.

Mar 21, 2017 8:40 AM in response to brsm1990

brsm1990 wrote:

You are just parroting apple's advice which is awful advice. It's idiotic to think that "plain water" will do a good job of cleaning anything greasy like a finger print for example. It also tends to leave streaks or spots or water marks.

No, I'm speaking from personal experience, some of which, as noted involved cleaning dried cat snot off of my MBA's screen. I can't blame the squashed raspberry on the cat. That came off with water, too.

Do what you want. It's your computer. Take whatever chances with it you see fit.

Mar 21, 2017 8:47 AM in response to brsm1990

brsm1990 wrote:

BobTheFisherman: "Clean grease with plan water."

Thanks genius.

I'm smart enough to not use a non-recommended product on an expensive electronic product. I'm also smart enough to not keep asking in an Apple support community how to use a non-recommended product. I'm also smart enough to understand that I can use any product I want to use if I am prepared to accept the result of using that product.

Do whatever you want to do.

Best way to clean screen on new MacBook Pro with touch bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.