Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocked iPhone 7 in Japan

Hi guys, I wanna ask something.

I am going to Japan next week and I plan to buy an iPhone 7 there.

Anybody know where can I buy unlocked iPhone 7 so I could use it in my original country. And what should I ask to the officer?

Does anyone knows if SIM Free means the same with the unlocked iPhone?

Thanks guys. Awaited for your kind response :)

Posted on Mar 20, 2017 9:08 AM

4 replies

Mar 20, 2017 9:15 AM in response to Nordicakay

Generally Sim free does not mean the same as unlocked. Sim Free just means it has no sim, but it can still be locked to a carrier, so would only support a sim from that carrier.

I do not believe there is any place to buy an outright unlocked iPhone in Japan, and only a few carriers offer unlocking to my knowledge.

https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support/procedure/simcard/unlock_dcm/

http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/support/usim/unlock_procedure/

If there's any place you may be able to get an unlocked iPhone that would be an Apple Store.

You'll need to ask for a specifically unlocked iPhone, to use with any carrier outside of Japan.

Note however, that the warranty will only be valid in Japan, and if you need a service on your iPhone any Apple Stores or Authorized service provides in your country may decline to offer service.

Mar 21, 2017 8:34 AM in response to Phil0124

Please clarify if I can use the SIM free iPhone outside of Japan?

Then I only have to visit the official Apple store in Japan and ask for the unlocked iPhone 7, right?

Someone said that it was easy to get the unlocked iPhone in Japan but some said that it's impossible. I'm getting confused.

Does anyone want to share experience on buying unlocked iPhone 7 in Japan....

Mar 21, 2017 9:05 AM in response to Nordicakay

Nordicakay wrote:

Please clarify if I can use the SIM free iPhone outside of Japan?

Sim Free, just means it has no sim. Whether you can then insert a sim from a carrier outside of japan depends on whether it is unlocked or not. You need to specifically ask for an unlocked iPhone. Sim Free in most cases is not the same thing as unlocked.

Nordicakay wrote:

Then I only have to visit the official Apple store in Japan and ask for the unlocked iPhone 7, right?

If unlocked iPhone's can be purchased in Japan then an Apple Store would be the place to try and get one as that is generally where you can find unlocked iPhones in other countries. Again I am not sure they sell unlocked iPhones in Japan, but going into an Apple store and asking is the only thing you can do. Don't be surprised if they don't have unlocked iPhones though.

Note that by law, Japanese phones must have a loud camera shutter noise at all times, and this cannot be turned off.

Unlocked iPhone 7 in Japan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.