Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootcamp windows10 overheating my MacbookPro

I have installed Windows 10 Education with bootcamp because I need to use some software (only for windows)

When I use the Mac OS the temperature of the Cores is about 35°/40° Celsius, but when I use Windows (doing nothing!) the temperature goes up to 60° minimum (80°/90° maximum).

I am afraid to use my 3D modeling program!

I want to know if there is a way to fix this huge problem of overheating

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Thank you.

Posted on Mar 20, 2017 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2017 9:07 PM

Had the same problem, would idle around 80-90 without any programs opened. My current solution is to limit the "Maximum Processor State" and now it idles around 60-70 with nothing open, still not ideal but better.

Go to:

1. Settings
  2. Power & sleep
  3. Additional power settings
  4. Change plan settings (for whichever plan you have selected)
  5. Change advanced power settings
  6. Processor power management
  7. Maximum processor state (NOT Maximum processor frequency)

I recently found this setting so I'm still playing around with it but I currently have 60/80% for battery/plugged in respectively.

Hope this helps

also i would leave max processor frequency at 0

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2017 9:07 PM in response to Nicsc

Had the same problem, would idle around 80-90 without any programs opened. My current solution is to limit the "Maximum Processor State" and now it idles around 60-70 with nothing open, still not ideal but better.

Go to:

1. Settings
  2. Power & sleep
  3. Additional power settings
  4. Change plan settings (for whichever plan you have selected)
  5. Change advanced power settings
  6. Processor power management
  7. Maximum processor state (NOT Maximum processor frequency)

I recently found this setting so I'm still playing around with it but I currently have 60/80% for battery/plugged in respectively.

Hope this helps

also i would leave max processor frequency at 0

Mar 21, 2017 1:02 PM in response to Loner T

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 pollici, metà 2014) - Specifiche tecniche

this is my model (2,2 GHz 256Gb SSD)

I haven't tried any other version of Windows (except Win7 some years ago, I had the same problem) because I have Windows 10 Education free with my university.

I don't have a case.

When it's idle, using task manager, I see the cpu task about 20%

My worry is the rapid growth of the temperature starting from 60° reaching soon the 90°

I am tempted to remove my Bootcamp...

Mar 21, 2017 8:12 AM in response to Nicsc

windows after installation do serious intense task..

1.- index the hard drive

2.- completing installation of the some features in background

3.- updating via windows update

4.- high consume io disk and cpu services named "superfetch"

try after install let the windows settle down, I mean don't install any heavy application before windows get update with the last software, you can try temporally disable some features like index services, superfetch and system restore.

regards

bootcamp windows10 overheating my MacbookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.