Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get Rid of Dead Keys

Hi,

I would like to use the whole keyboard without any dead keys. I can disable them with Ukelele, that works.

The problem is that I can't delete the original US layout. And since I use another layouts switching between them

(US->US_without_dead_keys->rus) really bothers me.

The questions are:

- Is there any chance to have simple standard US layout without dead keys?

- Is it possible to get rid of dead keys in the standard layout and still use it as standard so they wouldn't be duplicated?
- Is it possible to convince macos that layout copied from default US is still can be used as default?

MacBook, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2017 10:33 AM

maxfromsaint-petersburg wrote:

- Is it possible to convince macos that layout copied from default US is still can be used as default?

This article may help with that:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/44913/make-a-custom-keyboard-layout-the -system-default-even-for-the-login-scree…

I'm curious why removing the dead keys is important to you. Most users do not even know they exist.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2017 10:33 AM in response to maxfromsaint-petersburg

maxfromsaint-petersburg wrote:

This article may help with that:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/44913/make-a-custom-keyboard-layout-the -system-default-even-for-the-login-scree…

I'm curious why removing the dead keys is important to you. Most users do not even know they exist.

Mar 24, 2017 6:44 AM in response to dot.com

dot.com wrote:

otherwise you would loose the ability to do the special accent markings that Barney refers to - only foreign languages use these (like French, Spanish, etc).

Actually you would still have that ability, via the Character Picker/Accent Menu, which is a popup that appears when you hold down the key for a letter. I think this may well be more popular than dead keys now.

Mar 24, 2017 10:32 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Barney, yes, you're right. The keys do what they intended to do, they aren't dead. I just don't like them.

Tom, thanks a lot. The link you provide was helpful. It works. I've managed to create another user and set my custom keyboard layout as default. But the OS for that user is completely fresh. It's to much to do to tune this empty OS again.

So I'll just remap this keybindings to something else.

Get Rid of Dead Keys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.