Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off Time Machine notifications, but keep time machine ON

Hello,

I am trying to find out how (I'm assuming in terminal) to disable the macOS notification that slide out on either Failed backups or "time machine hasn't backed up in x days" without turning off Time Machine altogether. I manage about 10 machines remotely for an office, and have found a third-party application, "tmnotifier" that will remotely monitor and alert me when Time Machine backups have failed".

This is mostly due to the NetGear NAS that all the macs back up to. They seem to be inconsistent in their success/fail ratio, and I would rather not end-users see "failed" notifications once every couple of weeks.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 2:29 PM

Non-Apple NAS devices will not be reliable with Apple's Time Machine, and are therefore unsuitable for that purpose. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support.

6 replies

Mar 23, 2017 5:25 AM in response to dhughes823

Sure. The reason is that Apple's Time Machine is proprietary software that uses their proprietary networking protocol, and Apple reserves the right to make frequent changes to both of them. During development and evaluation Apple does not test the wide variety of non-Apple NAS devices for compatibility. When they introduce another macOS upgrade or update non-Apple NAS implementations tend to fail, often silently. Then, when a user needs to restore a file or an entire system from a backup, he finds out that he can't, and blames Time Machine for being unreliable when in fact the TM backup device never conformed to TM's stated requirements to begin with. Upon learning this, the hapless user enters the five stages of grief. This unfortunate cycle has repeated since Time Machine was first implemented by Apple nearly a decade ago, and reports such as yours continue to appear on this site with disturbing regularity (see * note below).

If you were to contact Apple (I have) they would just refer you to the particular NAS device manufacturer since they didn't build it. If you were to do that, they in turn would blame Apple for having done something behind their back, or your network implementation, or you, or anyone and everyone but themselves for having made claims for Time Machine compatibility that cannot be justified. Either way that leaves you without a backup, and no one will care about that other than you.

Your eventual recourse might be to get a refund of the NAS's purchase price, but only you can determine the value of your data subject to permanent and irretrievable loss in the event it needs to be recovered, and can't.

That's what makes anything other than the devices specifically enumerated in Apple's TM documentation unsuitable for the purpose. Different people have different needs, but in my mind backups are "emergency equipment" that simply must function in the dire circumstances in which they are required. And if one piece of emergency equipment doesn't function you'd better darn well have another one close at hand. Inspect them periodically and keep them functioning, and in all likelihood you'll never need to use them.

Time Machine has never failed to back up or restore any of my Macs, not once, but I do not use unsupported configurations.

* note: Apple themselves didn't make things easy for us when upon Time Machine's release, Steve Jobs publicly announced that TM could use a hard disk drive connected to the then-available AirPort Extreme Base Station, when in fact it couldn't. Apple never acknowledged either SJ's apparent faux pas or TM's failure to work reliably with those models, and they were never listed as a compatible device until the current production 802.11ac AirPort Extreme was introduced. Finally, on or about December 2014 that model AEBS mysteriously appeared as a supported device in Time Machine's support documentation.

Mar 23, 2017 6:45 AM in response to dhughes823

There are a couple of issues I know about and there may be more.

The first is that when the backup is to a network volume TM stores its backups in a 'sparseimage', which is a bundle containing an image of an HFS+ file system split into a number of small files known as 'bands'. As the size of the backup set increases the number of these bands increases - there can be tens or hundreds of thousands of them, which exceeds the maximum number of files per directory limit for a typical NAS. This can be worked round by converting the sparseimage to one with a much larger-than-the-default band size.

The second is that the latest versions of AFP handle interrupted network connections relatively reliably. Third party NAS drives often use earlier versions of AFP that are not as well-behaved. If your network is wired and extremely reliable you may never experience problems. If you try to use Wi-Fi you can end up with a corrupted backup every time the backup is ruuning at the same time someone decides to microwave their lunch. Such corruption can often be fixed using a disk repair tool such as Disk Warrior or fsck but these can take many hours to run and the fix only lasts until the next time there is any interference.

C.

Mar 23, 2017 11:52 AM in response to John Galt

If we're being strictly correct, AFP is not 'proprietary software' it is a proprietary standard defining a protocol. (The 'p' in 'afp' stands for protocol.) It has been documented in enough detail, e.g. here:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.363.9481&rep=rep1&type= pdf

by Apple for third-parties to provide their own implementations. The key features affecting TM reliability were added in AFP 3.2 (synchronization, lock stealing, and sleep notifications) and AFP 3.3 (mandatory support for Replay Cache functionality). AFAIR these arrived with Leopard and Snow Leopard respectively. Whether a NAS works reliably with TM depends on whether its implementation of AFP includes these features.

Recent versions of Netatalk, for example claim compliance with AFP 3.4 and to be compatible with TM over a network:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netatalk

C.

How to turn off Time Machine notifications, but keep time machine ON

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.