Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't charge phone and listen to headphones

I work at a computer in an office with other people (common condition, right?). This obviously means I use my headphones to listen to music and podcasts, etc. I would like to be able to charge the phone as I listen. This wasn't a problem with the iPhone 6, but now I have to choose between charging and listening. This is what I call an "unprovement". If there is someone out there thinking (in whiny voice), "Well, just charge your phone at night like everyone else!", I'll tell you that's usually what I do, but sometimes not. Removing the headphone jack from a cell phone and combining it with the charging jack feels much like it did when Windows 8 came out -- a hostile punishment to long-time users. My advice to any designer: Avoid "unprovements", especially when there is not a perceiveable benefit to offset the loss.

iPhone 7, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 6:52 PM

I totally agree with you. It was very disappointing when I first bought my iPhone 7. I usually listen to music while go to sleep and charge at the same time.

Unfortunately I had to spend Another few bucks on a extension to charge and listen to music at the same time.

It’s ridiculous,they just keep finding a way to get more money from us,like buying a iPhone is any cheap.

The same thing happened when I got a new Mac ,they didn’t have the CD player and I had of course to buy a separate piece that cost me $100.

I have apple product for more than 10 years,and I don’t think I will be continue to buy apple any longer.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2017 6:52 PM in response to Eden Apple

I totally agree with you. It was very disappointing when I first bought my iPhone 7. I usually listen to music while go to sleep and charge at the same time.

Unfortunately I had to spend Another few bucks on a extension to charge and listen to music at the same time.

It’s ridiculous,they just keep finding a way to get more money from us,like buying a iPhone is any cheap.

The same thing happened when I got a new Mac ,they didn’t have the CD player and I had of course to buy a separate piece that cost me $100.

I have apple product for more than 10 years,and I don’t think I will be continue to buy apple any longer.

Mar 21, 2017 3:43 PM in response to Eden Apple

Eden Apple wrote:

I work at a computer in an office with other people (common condition, right?). This obviously means I use my headphones to listen to music and podcasts, etc. I would like to be able to charge the phone as I listen. This wasn't a problem with the iPhone 6, but now I have to choose between charging and listening. This is what I call an "unprovement". If there is someone out there thinking (in whiny voice), "Well, just charge your phone at night like everyone else!", I'll tell you that's usually what I do, but sometimes not. Removing the headphone jack from a cell phone and combining it with the charging jack feels much like it did when Windows 8 came out -- a hostile punishment to long-time users. My advice to any designer: Avoid "unprovements", especially when there is not a perceiveable benefit to offset the loss.

you can whine here all you want http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Mar 22, 2017 9:24 AM in response to Eden Apple

I Do understand your frustration. But it was a trade off based on available space. The 3.5 mm jack takes a huge amount of space that could better be used by a larger battery; I love the fact that for the first time in 9+ years I never have to charge my phone during the day, and could go 2 or 3 days between charges if I wanted to. It is also the only unsealed opening in the case, making it impossible to make an iPhone water resistant.

I solved the headphone problem with Bluetooth. I really like the AirPods. But I also have a Parrot Zik noise reducing set.

Mar 22, 2017 9:41 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

So true. People clammer for ever thinner, slimmer devices, and ever better battery life. With essentially stagnant battery technology (it improves sure, but ever smaller incremental improvements as we've been using the same fundamental battery technology for decades now) something has to give. So you get a single USB-C connector in your ultra-slim MacBook, a single lightening connector on your iDevice, and so on.

The other option of course is to do as Samsung did and greatly reduce the batteries own internal insulation layers to increase capacity, but that does have that big headache of causing internal shorting and resulting explosions and fires, so maybe not what people want? 😀

Oct 29, 2017 7:23 PM in response to Philly_Phan

I won't use corded headphones EVER again. Bluetooth headphones have come so far. For true immersion, my Parrot Zik 3.0 is what I use. For outdoor and active use, my Senso Active Buds are what I use. I find it amusing people want the latest technology, then cry when their old fashioned corded phones are obsolete. Even the higher end Samsumg and Pixel phones no longer include a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Can't charge phone and listen to headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.