Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi & Ethernet Together

I have a Macbook Pro with OS X Yosemite and using WiFi and Ethernet ( LAN ) together and service order is WiFi First then LAN.

Please help me about how will MAC network traffic go through LAN ?

1. After WiFi goes off ?

2. After WiFi Signal strength is Low?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2017 7:20 AM

Wi-Fi and Wired network load preference

8 replies

Mar 22, 2017 7:19 AM in response to SushantThosar

Assuming that when you say wifi you mean you are connecting to your LAN using a wifi connection to your router and when you say Ethernet your Ethernet cable is connected to the same router. If so then if wifi is at the top of the list then your computer will always default to using wifi to connect to your LAN. If you lose the wifi connection the Ethernet connection will be used. Is this what you are asking? If not, rephrase your question.

Mar 22, 2017 8:44 AM in response to SushantThosar

Your Mac will send traffic to the Internet using the TopMost, Working Interface shown in the Networks panel.

It does NOT do real-time load balancing across multiple interfaces, regardless of how many and what type might be available.

So try to put the "best" connection at the top of the list, as JimmyCMPIT suggests in his User tip. If working, that is the one that will be used.

Mar 24, 2017 5:38 AM in response to SushantThosar

I have servers accessible only though my wired LAN which is an entirely different network as my primary network (wi-fi). When I'm on the web which is 95% of my day the network is using wi-fi so all internet traffic stays on wi-fi, but it knows to switch to wired when the Wi-Fi network can not find the path to the server.

The wi-fi in my building is insane fast, or I would just stay on my wired which was has limited bandwidth.

Wifi & Ethernet Together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.