Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Tags with iTunes 12.6

Last night I upgraded to iTunes 12.6.0.

Following, I was no longer able to edit any music file with iTunes. The program would not accept or 'hold' any changes I made. I selected the file and used the 'Get Info' menu then edited information with the 'Detail's' tab. After clicking 'Ok', none of the information was retained or saved.

Previous to this I have had no issues with tag editing with this process.

Is there something I am missing with this new version or is this a potential issue. Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you greatly in advance

I am using Mac OS 10.12.3 - Mid 2011 iMac

Brien

Posted on Mar 22, 2017 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2017 1:11 PM

This issue is not new. iTunes tagging has always been maddeningly capricious, and often downright bizarre in its behavior. I use the "MusicBrainz Picard" app, which is great for comprehensive tagging and sorting, with only a moderate learning curve.

3 replies

Mar 22, 2017 4:47 PM in response to Medhatbear

Do you have Apple Music? New version spent a long time analyzing my library and uploading hereforto non-uploadable files (ALAC 24 24x96 files, old AAC files that had chapter markers in them, etc). It is GREAT because pretty much EVERY file that failed to upload is now in the cloud. HOWEVER - while this is going on, often tag changes you make do not hold, as it overwrites the changes with what it pulls from the cloud. Have you tried changing the tags when there is no Apple Music spinner in the upper right of your iTunes window?

Mar 23, 2017 1:20 PM in response to Eytan Bernet1

In followup, no the chapter marked AAC did not upload. The 24x96 did. I saw the same weirdness you've seen, if you have Apple Music the indicator is not always visible while they sync, and the cloud version can often overwrite the info of the local version. I find the amount of time you have to edit was when you add music is almost 0, so either tag BEFORE you add to iTunes, or wait for iTunes to sync to Apple Music, then wait a little more 😉, and THEN you can change tags and it will hold....

For me, since I am doing a whole bunch of other stuff with my music (amateur audio taper) I use xACT to tag it before I add it to iTunes. It still does not have ALL the fields, but the most important ones. Then I add to iTunes and wait a bit before I edit.

Editing Tags with iTunes 12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.