Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone says “User Busy"

Hi all,

I have been trying to call my mum all day, but keep getting the "user busy" message. She has not received any of my text messages from today either. You would think that my phone has been blocked by hers, expect it hasn't - I'm looking at it right now, and neither phone has blocked the other. She can call and message me, but I can't the same to hers. I can contact other people, just not her specific phone.

I have reset both phones, deleted the numbers on each and entered them again, but still get the same problem. I can't figure out what is going on. I'm hoping someone might have an idea what the issue could be...

I have a 6s and she has an iPhone SE. We are both using the latest iOS.

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Mar 22, 2017 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2017 7:13 PM

Can anyone else successfully call her? You didn't really say, so thought I'd ask and confirm.

Can you describe this "user busy" message - is it a text message that her phone sends to yours? Or sent by your carrier? What do you hear when you call her -- just no answer ringing, or...?

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2017 7:13 PM in response to Archer43

Can anyone else successfully call her? You didn't really say, so thought I'd ask and confirm.

Can you describe this "user busy" message - is it a text message that her phone sends to yours? Or sent by your carrier? What do you hear when you call her -- just no answer ringing, or...?

Aug 29, 2017 4:15 PM in response to Archer43

I had the same problem trying to call my Girl 2 nights ago, I tried calling her at night till midnight it said she was busy on another call. The the follong day I tried calling her same thing , it rings for twice then says user busy, I I called her with a different number and it went through, I concluded that she blocked my number and we had a terrible argument.

After reading this post I realised I messed up, we are now not in seaking terms....I have to fix this because my relationship is on the line.

Mar 24, 2017 4:25 AM in response to Klotar

Yes, other people can call her (and indeed, I can call and text other people). It's just when I try to phone and text her specific number that I have a problem. When I call, it rings once, then displays a "user busy" message, and I get the engaged tone on my phone. Whenever I send her a text message it looks ok on my end (no delivery failed message, etc), she just doesn't receive them. It's almost like her phone is acting like mine is blocked, expect it's not on the blocked list of numbers. I have reset the settings, taken the SIM out and reinserted it, but nothing has helped.

I have been in contact with both Apple and Tesco Mobile, my network, both of whom seem to be stumped. Apple think it might be a carrier issue, while Tesco are denying this, saying it is not possible for them to block just one number, they would block everything or nothing.

One thing that has just occurred to me is that the night before I tried to phone her, but it did not ring on her end. However, when I checked my phone later on, it indicated that I had a missed call from my own number at exactly the time I tried to call her. It's a bit bizarre.

Mar 24, 2017 5:32 AM in response to Archer43

Good detective work. I would ask your carrier to reset your provisioning (can be done over the phone or at a store/booth, and you simply reboot afterwards) and if that does not work, ask for a new SIM card. If neither of those work, it indicates some issue at an account level -- not sure what to suggest there.

As you say, very bizarre.

Now, last question -- are you dialing your mum via Contacts, or speed dial, etc.? I have read of a corrupt contact number doing something similar to what you describe, except this was a long time ago when SIM cards were actually used to store phone numbers (not that common these days with smartphones that store numbers in a contacts app). If the number LOOKED right but was actually wrong behind the scenes, it could be dialing some non-existent number or perma busy modem line, etc. I guess what I'm getting at, is have you tried dialing the old fashioned way by inputting the full 10-digit number on the keypad and pressing the call button?

Let us know how this turns out when you solve it (we know you will!).

Mar 25, 2017 5:31 AM in response to Archer43

OK, (hopefully!) final update. As of this morning the number has started working again, so I can call her and make texts and they go through as they should. Strange but true. I do wonder if the network did something behind the scenes, despite telling me there was nothing wrong on their end. I also received an email from them about 5 minutes ago stating they were sending me out a new SIM, so hopefully all's been resolved.

iPhone says “User Busy"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.