Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Backup to Server TM

Heres the rub.

iMac on OS X El Capitan running the server App. with the Time Machine service turned on pointing to an external 2TB (working fine) HDD with ~1.9TB of space remaining.

MacBook Air on OS Sierra. This computer can see the iMac on the network and the shared Backups folder that was made by the server. Setting up a new backup on the MacBook Air sees the Backup folder but always throws the same error:

"The network backup disk could not be accessed because there was a problem with the network username or password. You may need to re-select the backup disk and enter the correct username and password."

User uploaded file

I can verify that the username and password is correct.

Things I've tried:

• Shouting, lots of shouting!

• Scrubbing the backup HDD.

• Setting up the Time Machine service from the serve App. again (actually a few times).

• Starting a direct backup from the iMac to the 2TB HDD - The outcome of which was a backup was made and worked just fine for a day. But did nothing in the way of helping my MacBook Air Backup, wasn't really expecting it to was just trying a hail Mary.

• More shouting.

• LOTS of fruitless Google searching.

And this leads me to my plea here.

Please help, or I might revert to using an Etch A Sketch.

Thanks for any help in advance.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2017 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2017 1:06 PM

OK, in my frustration I tried something that is a "fix"?

So I'm assuming that there is some conflict with user names? iMac (server) is logged in as "stevenportas" as is the MacBook Air. Added a new user to the server App., "stevenportas" (without the "n") and logged in with that registered admin account when prompted when creating a new TM backup on the MacBook Air, no issues/errors.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2017 1:06 PM in response to Satrop

OK, in my frustration I tried something that is a "fix"?

So I'm assuming that there is some conflict with user names? iMac (server) is logged in as "stevenportas" as is the MacBook Air. Added a new user to the server App., "stevenportas" (without the "n") and logged in with that registered admin account when prompted when creating a new TM backup on the MacBook Air, no issues/errors.

Mar 23, 2017 7:13 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes, Finder > Go > Connect to Server I can connect to the iMac and the drives attached.

Mounting the backup drive still gives the same error:

"The network backup disk could not be accessed because there was a problem with the network username or password. You may need to re-select the backup disk and enter the correct username and password."

Mar 23, 2017 9:50 AM in response to Satrop

Have a look here:

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

in particular:

http://pondini.org/TM/2.html

If I understood your setup correctly - backup to an external disk connected to an iMac and backup attempt from an MBA - TM does not easily support such "indirect" backups.

Question: why not run TM directly from the MBA via USB connected to the external?

If I misunderstood your setup/question, disregard....

Mar 23, 2017 10:27 AM in response to babowa

The reason for not running the TM directly from the MacBook Air is that it's a shared computer in the house and between my wife and I taking it for "walks" around the house a lot, mounting and unmounting the drive is a slight pain and add to the fact I'm a neat freak I like to NOT see drives all over the house.

I am aware of the limitations of the TM not being able to backup to a standard network drive but the iMac is running the Server App. which shares the drive that's being used as a backup in a way that will (should) allow computer on the same network access that drive as a TM.

Mar 24, 2017 12:47 PM in response to cdhw

From the Console App. on the MacBook Air

NAConnectToServerSync failed with error: 80 (Authentication error) for alternate url: afp://stevenportas@Portas-Home-Server.local/Backups

Authentication error (80) - the correct user or password info may not exist in the System.keychain or the server may no longer allow access for this user.

And at the same time on the server:

Mar 24 12:17:04 AppleFileServer[680] <Info>: IP 192.168.1.4 - - "Login stevenportas" -5023 0 0

Mar 24 12:17:04 AppleFileServer[680] <Info>: IP 192.168.1.4 - - "Logout stevenportas" -5023 0 0

Hope this is what your looking for?

Can't Backup to Server TM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.