Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is iTunes 12.6 update crashing?

I updated iTunes to 12.6 yesterday and it continually crashes. I now have seven iTunes crash logs as well as one iTunesHelper crash log. Has anyone seen this? I am running on an early 2009 iMac so I'm topped out at 10.11.6, fully patched with whatever Apple allows updates to.

Here's a consistent sample of what's crashing:

started with--

Crashed Thread: 22 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000007fbb0682ff9

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

then has changed to--

Crashed Thread: 26 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

and even crashing on startup--

Crashed Thread: 1 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 23, 2017 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2017 4:43 PM

Hey prl,

No guarantee, but it might help to try a fresh install of the iTunes update by starting here:

https://www.apple.com/itunes/

Hit the Download link in the upper right. Then open the installer package and just follow the prompts. For some reason, this often results in a cleaner installation and eliminates glitches that might have crept in when updating via the App Store.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2017 4:43 PM in response to prl99

Hey prl,

No guarantee, but it might help to try a fresh install of the iTunes update by starting here:

https://www.apple.com/itunes/

Hit the Download link in the upper right. Then open the installer package and just follow the prompts. For some reason, this often results in a cleaner installation and eliminates glitches that might have crept in when updating via the App Store.

why is iTunes 12.6 update crashing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.