Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

possible spam email about account being locked

I received an email claiming my Apple ID had been locked due to a sign in from an unknown advice. When I clicked on the link to unlock it, the website, which was apple.support but did not have the lock to verify it's their actual website, asked for my birthday and social security number.........

I didn't fill it out, but just wanted to make others aware because I'm pretty sure Apple would never ask for my social security number to unlock my account.

Posted on Mar 23, 2017 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2017 7:55 AM

They would not ask for it, you're right (and, your social security number is not associated with your AppleID in any way so woukd be pointless for verification anyway). And you should never, ever trust any URL or link in any unsolicited email or message. Everyone should already know how to independently verify their AppleID at https://appleid.apple.com/ and if they need to contact Apple, the contact information is available on this web site.

Never click on anything. You can always check accounts and such things independently via your normal login access to them. And you can always independently contact Apple yourself (or whomever) and check with them about an issue.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2017 7:55 AM in response to LuToriaB

They would not ask for it, you're right (and, your social security number is not associated with your AppleID in any way so woukd be pointless for verification anyway). And you should never, ever trust any URL or link in any unsolicited email or message. Everyone should already know how to independently verify their AppleID at https://appleid.apple.com/ and if they need to contact Apple, the contact information is available on this web site.

Never click on anything. You can always check accounts and such things independently via your normal login access to them. And you can always independently contact Apple yourself (or whomever) and check with them about an issue.

Oct 27, 2017 8:53 PM in response to LuToriaB

Hey,

I too just received an email from gmeufkungijuuq@rcyuumpmanwcpss.afs which showed up on my email as FROM: Apple ID but once I clicked on the contact, the actual email showed up. Claimed that my Apple ID had been disabled and that I needed to fill out my home address and Credit card information (including my credit limit 🙄) in order to reactivate my email that too within 48 hours if I wanted to retain all my info or lose all my saved and backed up data on iCloud account. User uploaded file

Dec 2, 2017 7:19 AM in response to LuToriaB

User uploaded file

Review Your Case

Reference: AP18800XD12004 || ID: 20044ADDY || Solution ID: 0688F2455PP2452-ID01145

Your recent summary has a existing case (Case ID: 20044ADDY ) opened and until you solve it, your account will be terminated. We need additional information from you to solve this situation. Please go to the reference below to resolve this case. There, you will verify any information regarding this case that will help us figure out what is happening on your behalf.

Thank you

Solve Your Case Now.

I got this email in September

Jun 8, 2017 5:52 PM in response to LuToriaB

This scam is still alive, I received today (June 8, 2017) the same email. Below is the actual email received. BEWARE it is an attempt to secure your personal information.

From: Order Confirmation < kentangmakanan-apps05@signapplecs.com>
Date: June 8, 2017 at 4:25:57 PM EDT
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Review your order history from other users

Two-Step Verification Attempts to suspect to your Account. If it's not you, then someone Else knows your password, and you should secure your account right now, we have sent the attachment (PDF) for detail full payment information

Please Clik or Download and cancel the order.

your Apple ID has been locked for security reasons

Apple lnc.

Jun 30, 2017 7:35 PM in response to LuToriaB

Just received an email

Dear Customer,

We recently failed to validate your account information we hold on file for you, therefore we need to ask you to complete a brief validation process in order to verify your account.

Click here to verify your account

Failure to complete our validation process could have an affect your Apple ID status.
We take every step needed to automatically validate our users, unfortunately in this case we were unable to verify your details. The process will only take a couple of minutes and will allow us to maintain our high standards of securing your account.
Wondering why you got this email?

This email was sent automatically during routine checks. We are not completely satisfied with your account information and require you to update your account to continue using our services uninterrupted.
For more information, see our FAQ.
Thanks,
Apple Customer Service

I am concerned this is a scam please advise

<Edited by Host>

Nov 26, 2017 8:07 AM in response to LuToriaB

Just had this happen too. It's 11/25/17. The email, strangely enough, goes to an apple.support webpage, however, before it hits that webpage, it goes to something that's like accounts.payments/gchl or some other thing. I saw this and then got the "update your ssn and credit card" prompt, which I hesitated on. Then opened up a new window and came here, after changing my password. Twitch. Not good. Makes me cranky on not enough caffeine yet.

possible spam email about account being locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.