Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

colored horizontal lines across screen when shutting down imac

I have an iMac running in Sierra 10.12.3. A few day ago I had a problem quitting out of my applications. Even with doing a force quit, the computer seemed stuck. I forced a shutdown. Everything came back up OK and applications working fine, but when I restart or shut down, my screen has colorful horizontal lines across it. Also appearing on the screen was what appeared to be an email message in the background. Very weird. The computer comes back up OK.

Computer is only 2 months old.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Mar 23, 2017 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2017 8:32 AM

By any chance do the colorful lines you describe resemble this?

User uploaded file

8 replies

Mar 23, 2017 12:00 PM in response to keyweekly

I found a couple threads about this same thing, and I'm glad I did, because it seems to be an issue with more than just you and me. I too get the color horizontal lines down the whole screen on shutdown, and even then, only sometimes. I called Apple, and the technician I spoke with said he would run it by engineering to find out if it's "expected" behavior with the given graphics card installed. I can't believe that this behavior would be expected, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I never heard back. But since finding threads here about other people having the same problem, I must say I feel better about my problem...Lol.

Someone said in another thread that there was a recall on a specific graphics card some time ago, but it's not the card I have.

Mar 30, 2017 7:24 PM in response to zemoochy

I have the same problem with a late 2015 27 inch iMac -- occasional horizontal colored lines filling entire screen on shutdown. In addition, I have another problem that happens on startup every time. As loading bar moves from left to right, it pauses just below the apple symbol and there is a very brief and small set of black and white horizontal bars to the left of the symbol. Then loading bar continues to right and machine boots up.

Anybody have this issue?

colored horizontal lines across screen when shutting down imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.