Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AFP Auto Login on Start-up & AppleShareClientCore

Hi All,

Every time I log into my MacBook Air (MacOS Sierra 10.12.3), the OS is trying to establish an AFP connection with my NAS repeatedly in the background. It is using my mac username, but not my password. Long story short, this cycle causes my NAS to ban my Mac's IP address due to too many failed login attempts.

Having looked in the system logs, I have found the following.

/System/Library/CoreServices/NetAuthAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/NetAuthSysAgent

ERROR: AFP_OpenSession - Login Failed with 80

afp_sendmsg: sendmsg failed errno = 32

What I can't work out is: What is calling for the Mac to try and create an AFP connection with the NAS upon login? I don't have any network shares configured to automount.

This has been going on for a while now, ever since I upgraded to Sierra from El Capitan.

Many thanks,

Graeme

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Mar 23, 2017 1:25 PM

1 reply

Mar 24, 2017 6:12 AM in response to p4c970

The usual way a user would deliberately set things so a network share is auto mounted is to first manually login and then to open System Preferences -> Users & Groups, then select your own account, then select Login Items, and then to drag the icon for the network share in to the Login Items list.

Note: If you do not tick the 'remember password' option when logging in to the network share then your computer will obviously not remember the password for you.

Whilst there are other ways to define an auto mount, e.g. writing a script, perhaps the other more likely cause in your case is that something on your computer belonging to your user account is trying to open documents stored on the network share. As a result your computer sees the request to open a file on the network share and helpfully tries to auto connect to that network share. Then because as above you may not have ticked remember password it waits for you to enter the password manually.

Such things being accessed from the network share might be being do so via an alias stored locally which points to the file on the network share.

AFP Auto Login on Start-up & AppleShareClientCore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.