Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there any free VNC server apps?

Are there any free VNC server apps for iOS that allow one to use screen sharing to view the iPad from a Mac, and treat it like a remote computer of the Mac?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), * I may get paid from macmaps links

Posted on Mar 24, 2017 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2017 10:03 AM

Nope, since any third party sharing app could only share its own active screen, not another app's active screen or data. iOS itself would never allow that.

TeamViewer licenses an SDK that developers can incorporate into their app to allow that specific app to share content with TeamViewer. But only that app would be remotely viewable, and only when it is the active app in use on the iOS device. I don't know if it allows any remote interaction with the app on the iOS device, or just screen viewing for interactive diagnostics (I know some in-house corporate apps have licensed it so they can remotely trouble shoot their own apps with their employees in the field - but I think it merely allows their IT people to see the remote screen to talk someone through a trouble shooting ticket).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2017 10:03 AM in response to a brody

Nope, since any third party sharing app could only share its own active screen, not another app's active screen or data. iOS itself would never allow that.

TeamViewer licenses an SDK that developers can incorporate into their app to allow that specific app to share content with TeamViewer. But only that app would be remotely viewable, and only when it is the active app in use on the iOS device. I don't know if it allows any remote interaction with the app on the iOS device, or just screen viewing for interactive diagnostics (I know some in-house corporate apps have licensed it so they can remotely trouble shoot their own apps with their employees in the field - but I think it merely allows their IT people to see the remote screen to talk someone through a trouble shooting ticket).

Mar 24, 2017 10:24 AM in response to a brody

It's pretty clear from discussion on dev forums that Apple would simply never allow any such third party app - it would require an abandonment of sandboxing iOS.

Regular old chicken of the VNC can be run on a j'broken iDevice - but iOS will never support such a thing. Just in principle alone, it goes against the core security model of iOS.

Things like eggplant also let developers get remote shared access to their apps for testing, interface refinement and so forth. But the are restricted to sharing just the specific eggplant-enabled apps. But other than those sort of app-specific sharing tools, there is never going to be any sort of whole device remote, or OS level access possible in iOS.

May 30, 2017 12:35 PM in response to a brody

The reason I had wanted to run a VNC was access a game via my Notebook computer so I wouldn't have to detach my iPad from the one charger I have for it while it needed to be recharged. Bluestacks offers an ability to run Simcity Buildit, via a stack on Mac OS X.

Not perfect as the three dimension views the iPad offers are limited on Bluestacks, but you get most of the functionality.

Are there any free VNC server apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.