Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touch bar and Java apps

I just got a Macbook Pro w/Retina and Touch Bar. I use IBM i Power systems terminal program known as 5250 emulation. This app is written in Java for the Mac.

The problem I have is this app is heavily dependent on the legacy Fn keys being used constantly with the host server applications. However the touch bar does not provide a way to cause the F1... F12 keys to stay on the touch bar while this Java app is running. Only the rarely used Control task button appear (why is that the default anyway, are we constantly changing our screen brightness? silly!) Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has a way to make the F1... F12 keys stick when running a Java app on Mac?

Right now I'm force to press and hold the Fn button then the F1...F12 appear. This means every press of F3 (for example) requires 2 hands. Great if you have no idea how to type (as apparently the designers of the Apple keyboards do not) but not so good if you're a touch typist like me.

Thanks.

-Bob

Posted on Mar 25, 2017 6:56 AM

4 replies

Jan 16, 2018 12:21 PM in response to Bob Cozzi

Systems Preferences -> Keyboard -> "Touch Bar Shows" -> select "F1,F2,etc. keys" from the drop down menu. The, under "Press Fn key to", select "expand control strip" to show the secondary functions, like screen brightness, music control etc. Those two settings combined will make it function as the normal F1-F12 and Fn keys on a standard, non-touchbar keyboard.

touch bar and Java apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.