Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do I need Norton antivirus with Microsoft Office on my iMac

New to iMac. I have Microsoft Office on this machine and I'm curious as to whether I need Norton Antivirus? Thanks.

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 25, 2017 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2017 12:46 PM

Only if you are running Windows on your Mac.

There are no viruses that can attack Mac.OS X. So, anti-virus programs are selling a cure for a disease that doesn't exist. And they are renowned for borking Mac systems.

A Mac can pick up malware but not if you just use common sense. You really have to actively invite some malware in for it to happen. That means downloading and knowingly giving your password for it to download. Mac provides all the protection you need with SIP (System Integrity Protection).I About System Integrity Protection on your Mac - Apple SupportThis also includes X-Protect which has malware definitions updated monthly and scans your Mac invisibly.

Ars Technica

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-the-ars-technica-revi ew/8/

Keep your security set to “App Store and identified developers” Don’t download software from third party sites.If you use torrents, don't. Torrents are a good way to pick up malware because it can hitchhike in on a download package and you’ll never know it.

Safari pop-ups are different and easier to deal with. In Safari 9.1 and later just close the window. For earlier versions force quit and hold the shift key while restarting Safari.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

Finally, do not get fooled by products that claim to clean, virus check or optimize your Mac. If you do happen to download malware you can use MalwareBytes to get rid of it. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC. It gets rave reviews and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2017 12:46 PM in response to Niel

Only if you are running Windows on your Mac.

There are no viruses that can attack Mac.OS X. So, anti-virus programs are selling a cure for a disease that doesn't exist. And they are renowned for borking Mac systems.

A Mac can pick up malware but not if you just use common sense. You really have to actively invite some malware in for it to happen. That means downloading and knowingly giving your password for it to download. Mac provides all the protection you need with SIP (System Integrity Protection).I About System Integrity Protection on your Mac - Apple SupportThis also includes X-Protect which has malware definitions updated monthly and scans your Mac invisibly.

Ars Technica

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-the-ars-technica-revi ew/8/

Keep your security set to “App Store and identified developers” Don’t download software from third party sites.If you use torrents, don't. Torrents are a good way to pick up malware because it can hitchhike in on a download package and you’ll never know it.

Safari pop-ups are different and easier to deal with. In Safari 9.1 and later just close the window. For earlier versions force quit and hold the shift key while restarting Safari.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

Finally, do not get fooled by products that claim to clean, virus check or optimize your Mac. If you do happen to download malware you can use MalwareBytes to get rid of it. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC. It gets rave reviews and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Mar 26, 2017 3:07 AM in response to rmfarley

You don't need Norton, but there has been an reappearance of Microsoft Office macro malware capable of infecting Macs lately. Such malware relies on you allowing macros to run when you open an MS Office document. Go to the Security & Privacy preferences in your Office apps and make sure one of the "Disable" options is chosen under Macro Security. Do not fall for any scam documents attempting to get you to enable macros in order to see their content. That's all it takes to remain safe from such macro malware.

User uploaded file

do I need Norton antivirus with Microsoft Office on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.