Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i uninstall safe finder

How do I uninstall safe finder....please help?

Posted on Mar 25, 2017 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2017 10:08 AM

safe finder is consider adware, malware

download malware bytes anti malware for Mac it will scan the Mac for hidden adware, malware and PUP apps

www.malwarebytes.com/mac will only work 10.9 or higher the newest version at least

its free and very efficient

if safe find is in safari

click on safari beside black apple > preferences> general > change home page > hit return save changes if it comes up

if chrome has it same thing

chrome top menu bar > preferences> show home button change home page there

make sure you go down to manage search engines get rid of any un known aka safe find make sure Google is default

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2017 10:08 AM in response to Gratz71

safe finder is consider adware, malware

download malware bytes anti malware for Mac it will scan the Mac for hidden adware, malware and PUP apps

www.malwarebytes.com/mac will only work 10.9 or higher the newest version at least

its free and very efficient

if safe find is in safari

click on safari beside black apple > preferences> general > change home page > hit return save changes if it comes up

if chrome has it same thing

chrome top menu bar > preferences> show home button change home page there

make sure you go down to manage search engines get rid of any un known aka safe find make sure Google is default

Jun 26, 2017 7:57 AM in response to joseek

joseek wrote:

when i try to delete the homepage link it returns it.

Adware installers often make changes to your Safari home page that persist after the adware is gone.

Apple has recently changed where that home page setting is stored. It is no longer stored in the Safari preferences file, it is kept in an inaccessible part of the keychain. (This is meant to make it harder for adware to change the setting, but it still manages to do so.)

Unfortunately, in some cases, this causes the home page setting to become stuck for some reason. I have not identified exactly why this happens, nor have I identified a reliable solution. Some users report that the following procedure fixes the problem:

First, restart in safe mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

Be sure to read the information in the section titled "How to tell if your Mac is started in safe mode" on that page, and follow those steps to ensure that you're actually in safe mode. If you aren't, try again.

Once you're in safe mode, hold down the shift key while opening Safari. When Safari opens, try changing the home page.

If the home page setting still won't change, contact Apple support:

https://support.apple.com

Mar 25, 2017 10:14 AM in response to Gratz71

EDIT: I may have mixed up Simple Finder & safe Finder. Simple Finder is the built in feature described below…

You don't uninstall it you disable it for the user account.

If you are not an admin user you need to login as admin, in System Preferences > Parental controls select the user account & edit the user account that has Simple Finder enabled.

Ask a parent, teacher or an admin if you do not own & control the Mac, only admins can edit the setting.

Mar 26, 2017 2:56 AM in response to Gratz71

Note that, as others have already said, Malwarebytes will remove the adware that causes this. However, Malwarebytes does not fix your browser's settings afterward, and this adware is known to change those settings. Be sure to manually fix your home page and search engine settings after removing adware with Malwarebytes. (There will be some links that Malwarebytes will show you after removal that will help you with that, if you're not sure how to do it.)

Apr 6, 2017 10:59 AM in response to thomas_r.

this is more diabolical. I suspect it may have been "improved" since since original advice and Malwarebytes initial discovery.

I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but Malwarebytes was run (and it found and removed) extensions are completely disabled, home and search are as they should be, safari has been reset, a hidden extension has been removed from /tmp, chrome and firefox have been worked on, and something is still opening safari and pointing to safe finder every few minutes. Never seen anything like it.

how do i uninstall safe finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.