Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung T3 Activator not working with Sierra

Hi,

I just got a Samsung SSD T3 500GB.

The T3 activator software works with my MacBook pro which has Yosemite 10.10.5 on it.

However, the activator T3 activator software does not seem to work with my MacBook which has Sierra 10.12.3 on it. As soon as the activator software installs it immediately says that it "quit unexpectedly". I have tried restarting, reinstalling and redownloading the software numerous times with no luck. I rang Samsung, and they claim they are unaware of any compatibility issues.

I would be keen to be able to encrypt the data on it - work related stuff.

Has anyone else had this issue? is there a way around it?

At the moment I have simply disabled the encryption to get it working.

Thanks

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 12:35 AM

8 replies

Mar 27, 2017 8:20 AM in response to jksgoh

Generally speaking if software is crashing it's up to its developer to fix it, and obviously that software is crashing. From the response they provided to you, it seems they aren't interested in fixing it.

What is "T3 activator?" If it is used to encrypt your startup disk Apple uses FileVault: Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support. To encrypt removable disks or media read macOS Sierra: Encrypt removable disks or media.

Apr 3, 2017 10:24 PM in response to jksgoh

You're welcome.

T3 Activator is Samsungs software used to encrypt the portable SSD.

I surmised that. I'd certainly be hesitant to use anyone else's proprietary encryption method when Apple is highly unlikely to abandon their own. I suspect FileVault may become the default in the future, which would bring even more concern with using someone else's.

Apr 23, 2017 2:15 PM in response to John Galt

Who are you again? :)

Encryption on the Samsung T3 is hardware based. A computer inside the drive encrypts and decrypts the data on your drive on the fly (as opposed to the data being encrypted using CPU cycles on your mac and then stored as FileVault 2 does - a tax on performance).

Of course you have to install the Samsung software to setup the hardware encryption on the drive.

I was keen on using the Samsung encryption, especially given the recent leak of NSA information including how to break FileVault 2! Not to fear.. With macos Sierra 10.12.4 Apple closed the loophole so not even the NSA can get in (AFAIK)..

The loophole (if you are interested) involved plugging in a thumb drive into the Thunderbolt connector. On bootup, the NSA dongle would intercept the secret key by pretending to be the Mac boot software/hardware. Its all on Wikileaks..

Apr 27, 2017 2:30 PM in response to jksgoh

I just got a new Mac for work and had this problem too. I previously had to download the T3 activator software onto a Mac running Sierra to get my T1 working. On the new Mac with the 'quitting unexpectedly' problem I removed the bad installation by trashing the T3 activator link on the desktop and trashing the T3 activator software that had gone into my Applications folder. I then copied the T3 activator from the Applications folder on the older Mac (also running Sierra) into the Applications folder of the new Mac. I then ran this and it downloaded an upgrade and now works fine.

I hope this helps. It does unfortunately rely on you having access to another older Mac with the T3 software already installed.

May 19, 2017 6:28 AM in response to RJWise

This worked for me too - thanks for posting your solution @RJWise. I had upgraded my Mac to Sierra, and my Samsung T1 software stopped working. After many uninstall/reinstall, removing the SAT driver, etc., it still was not working. As per the instructions on the Samsung support site, I installed the T3 software. Although the T3 software installed correctly, it crashed every time I tried to run it.

I installed the T3 software on another Mac (also Sierra) and it installed and ran correctly. It installed the SAT drivers and was able to mount my drive. I copied that installed T3 software to my other computer that it was crashing on, and it worked correctly, for some unknown reason. That said, the only difference was that I ran it from the Downloads folder on the second computer... I don't know if that had anything to do with it's success, but after spending many hours trying to resolve this, I'll include as much information here as possible.

Jul 27, 2017 3:18 AM in response to Michael Rice2

Thanks for the clues everyone.

It seems that the culprit causing the crash is the incorrect access permissions of the "/Applications/T3 Log In Activator for Mac.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts" folder. That folder gives r+w permissions to another Admin user on my system (coincidentally named "admin") and it also gives the "everyone" group "No Access". Probably an installer script bug.

This "No Access" for your current user to the previously mentioned Fonts folder is causing the crash. Changing the access permissions to this folder so that you have access will fix it.

A quick way to change permissions as you have seen is by copying the .app to another folder that you have r+w permissions to. An "alt-drag" copy of the .app from the /Applications folder would do this (and prompt for your password). Doing this gave my current user r+w access, but the "everyone" group will still have "No Access". Consequently you will see that the .app is 5.6 MB now (instead of 4 MB when in /Applications). I then copied this modified .app back into /Applications (overwriting the existing one) and no more crashes.

Samsung T3 Activator not working with Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.